Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which is the better hunting bullet?
Barnes TSX/TTSX 417 61.05%
Nosler Partition 266 38.95%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 10:59 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

Barnes Is Discontinuing the MRX Bullets | Barnes Bullets
The reason the MRX was discontinued was because certain military uses bought all the production they had. I confirmed this at the plant where they were doing ballistic jell testing and the fragmentation was unbelievable. I asked what bullet that was? they said the MRX! I asked why? they discontinued it... Not really they were doing addl testing at subsonic velocities for their military account!!!!! (Id tell you but Id have to kill you stuff)

Here is the 50 cal BMG- it is the bullet used by the snipers.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition-50-bmg.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalgi View Post
Barnes Is Discontinuing the MRX Bullets | Barnes Bullets
The reason the MRX was discontinued was because certain military uses bought all the production they had. I confirmed this at the plant where they were doing ballistic jell testing and the fragmentation was unbelievable. I asked what bullet that was? they said the MRX! I asked why? they discontinued it... Not really they were doing addl testing at subsonic velocities for their military account!!!!! (Id tell you but Id have to kill you stuff)

Here is the 50 cal BMG- it is the bullet used by the snipers.
I was pretty sure the 50 BMG snipers use the 750 grain A-Max.... And i thought seal team six used the navy M855 62 grain 5.56 round to make the bin laden cocktail (two shots and a dash of water )

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 PM
Bronze Member

all I know is what I saw and was told
Old 05-23-2013, 03:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what brand would that be? (i bet i am looking really stupid right about now).
He's trying to tell you they used solids....and that somehow it is OK for you hunting bullets not to expand....

Though a solid by name the 556 round acts anything like a solid at close range...Try killing something with the 556 outside the fragmenting range.
.224 Pinholes do not kill humans half the time never mind a much tougher animal.

1/2inch bullets are the exception to that rule, but are not the bomb Hollywood has us believe.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 AM
Gold Member

I shoot alot of deer every year doing crop damage shooting. I have mixed feelings about tssx bullets. Ive had both excellent results with them and crappy. Ive come to beleive this after chasing wounded deer alot. Tssx bullets .30 cal and bigger doe an outstanding job on whitetail. Do they do any better then a cup and core bullet? nope. But the thing is in some of my guns there the hands down best shooting bullet so I use them. In calibers under .30 i stay away even if they do shoot best in a gun. Ive spent to many hours with chasing well hit deer using calibers like the 2506 .257 wby 264 mag ect. My guess is with the .30s there just more bullet mass or maybe because there bigger they do tend to expand more reliably. I catch flack all the time from guys who have shot one or two deer with them and had good luck. What ill tell you is shoot 10 or 20 deer with them and your going to chase proably a 1/4 of them even with good hits. Right now with the way they make these bullets you couldnt pay me to use another small bore barnes.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

I haven't killed a lot of game with little X bullets (under 30 cal), but your comments surprise me.

The 223 is hardly a bear wrecking machine, but I killed a black bear with a 223 and a 55 grain TSX. At the shot it walked 15 yards then folded (standard black bear). The postmortem looked like somebody shoved a 2 inch pipe completely thru the bear...not a huge amount of damage, but a 2 inch pipe through the vitals is not survivable.

I would be interested to hear more of your comments on what regarded as failures
Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

most shots pensiled through with very little damage compared to a conventional bullet. I chased deer up to a mile before finding them and that was with good hits. Most shots were on the long side though. 3-400 yards. Ive had just the oposite experiences with the .30 cal out of the 300win and 300 wby. With only one exception all have dropped on the spot. the one that didnt i guess ive chalked up to a freek deal. I hit the deer in the shoulder and that bullet didnt penetrate a bit. It actually tracked down the arm bone and came out at the first joint. Obviously some of the bullet came apart too as it tore the chest cavity up. Absoultely no exit or even damage on the off side shoulder. Deer ran in a 300 yard circle and fell dead. All i can figure in that case is it was a bad bullet. I even called barnes and talked to them about it. They didnt deny the possibility it was a bad bullet. But like i said you cant judge ANY bullet by one or two kills. to many things can happen. All i know about the barnes bullets is they tend to be almost match accurate in some of my guns. Sure a rare one doesnt like them but most shoot them better then anything. I wish i could trust the smaller bored ones as id use them in an instant if i could.