Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which is the better hunting bullet?
Barnes TSX/TTSX 417 61.05%
Nosler Partition 266 38.95%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 04:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

my experience is a bit diffent then yours. Most deer i shoot with partitions show more meat damage then most cup and core bullets. Probably due to the fact that they do penetrate so well and the damage usually goes deaper.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurels View Post
I'm not from Missouri but I'd have to see that to believe it..I've never seen a partition separate and I've shot many bears in the 400 + range that were soaking wet from being driven in snow and rain and never saw a partition fail..right on through and out..no problems whatsoever..
First off I never said the Partitions in question separated. I said the front core blew off before it got to the vitals. The front core blows off on big animals (usually inside the vitals) every time. John Nosler designed it to do just that.
You claim this never happens? You have never seen this?

I said grizzly and you are talking about black bears right?
A big coastal brownie looks closer to a mini van than it does black bear....I don't care what size of black bear.

There is a big difference between an animal in the rain and one climbing out of a river.

The bison was bone dry in -20 weather.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:06 AM
Gold Member

My only complaint with the TSX +TTSX is they don't make one with a BC over. 5 and closer to. 6 or better. In 6.5 mm.
Too much pandering to the slow twist and the Grendel.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
My only complaint with the TSX +TTSX is they don't make one with a BC over. 5 and closer to. 6 or better. In 6.5 mm.
Too much pandering to the slow twist and the Grendel.

The issue is most definitely the issue, but not pandering to any specific twist. Being Solid copper, Barnes bullet lack the density to achieve the same weight to length ration that can be achieved with "conventional" boolets. The 130 TSX-FB & 127LRX-BT are most likely the longest Barnes can make a bullet & still maintain stability at sea level with ALL cartridges.

When comparing the Cutting Edge G05 130 Grain MTH to the 140 Grain Berger H-VLD, the G05 was just as long or slightly longer than the "conventional" design of the Berger. By stepping up to the CEB 140 Grainer (G10), the bullet was quite a bit longer than the 140 Berger of the same weight. The Berger will stabillize in my 8.4 twist Obermeyer while the G10 will not (much to my chagrin).

Without a dense core, Mono-metal bullets will always be longer than conventionals of the same weight, thus requiring a faster twist to stabilize OR by dropping the weight & the OAL of the bullet to ensure stabilization as Barnes is doing as of now; the problem being, BC suffers, badly.

t

Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Gold Member

Right. Which is why I say they are pandering to the slow twist 1-9 and the low velocity. The 1-8" Creedmoor easily stabilizes up to. 6 BC
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
Right. Which is why I say they are pandering to the slow twist 1-9 and the low velocity. The 1-8" Creedmoor easily stabilizes up to. 6 BC

No, your twist rate has nothing to do with BC. The length of the bullet means everything when it comes to stabilization, the longer the bullet, the more twist that is required to stabilize that projectile.

Are there any manufacturers that offer a 9" twist?

t

Old 05-21-2013, 10:14 PM
Bronze Member

I was a Partition shooter for many decades. But, when CA went to non lead we had to switch to Barnes because it was the only non lead bullet out there!

Once we started using the Barnes manual we really started getting great groups. The key was OAL to squeeze the last 1/4-1/2" out of them.

However, paper holes dont kill stuff! I've killed dozens of animals with TTSX bullets from Mtn goat to pigs. They are the toughest, most uniform penetrating/expanding bullets I have ever seen. At this point I cant see myself shooting anything else.