Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which is the better hunting bullet?
Barnes TSX/TTSX 417 61.05%
Nosler Partition 266 38.95%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDHunter View Post
I don't know where you get the information that Partitions sometimes pencil through. I've never heard of that except from a few Barnes people that have never really used them.

I've killed over 40 Florida whitetails with them with perfect results every single time and numerous coyotes, hogs, and even a few groundhogs and they always leave a large exit hole and wreck internals decisively obviating the fact that they open up quite easily and the base stays together all the way through the animal even on elk and bears.

I have moved on to the AccuBond bullets in search of more accuracy and better BC but have never once seen a Partition fail to open completely and wreck internals like they're designed to do.
I think the term pencil is a bit misleading.

I shot a bison 8 times with partitions.
What I discovered while gutting the animal was the bullet front core was blowing off in the thick fur and that I killed the animal with wadcutter sized holes through the heart and lungs. A process that took some some time.
I saw the same thing on a wet grizzy.
Wet bear fur is tough on bullets.

It doesn't happen often, but it can and does happen.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post

What I discovered while gutting the animal was the bullet front core was blowing off in the thick fur and that I killed the animal with wadcutter sized holes through the heart and lungs. A process that took some some time.

I guess that's what happens when you compare internal ballistics on White Tail deer vs Bison & Griz For a deer bullet, there's nothing wrong with a partition. Or even bigger game with the older cartridges the Partition was designed to withstand.

t

Old 05-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

go back to page 11 and start reading through this thread again . I was told when a barnes petals break off it's no big deal , caliber size is ok .this was on a 130 pound whitetail .

I really think if the partitions had a cool looking plastic tip it would have received more votes . these bullets just look to old school .
Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I guess that's what happens when you compare internal ballistics on White Tail deer vs Bison & Griz For a deer bullet, there's nothing wrong with a partition. Or even bigger game with the older cartridges the Partition was designed to withstand.

t
True that man, but I figured you might as well have the whole picture.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:

TTSX would have cured that.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagTen View Post
TTSX would have cured that.
Might be a reason I go by X-man!
Old 05-12-2013, 06:27 PM
Bronze Member

I'm not from Missouri but I'd have to see that to believe it..I've never seen a partition separate and I've shot many bears in the 400 + range that were soaking wet from being driven in snow and rain and never saw a partition fail..right on through and out..no problems whatsoever..