Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which is the better hunting bullet?
Barnes TSX/TTSX 417 61.05%
Nosler Partition 266 38.95%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 AM
Gold Member

Re: Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

I can't say for sure but , I'd guess if I used a lead core bullet and wasted a bunch of meat it would have damaged the spine and ended the chase , or at least slowed him up a bunch .
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

The petals breaking is nowhere NEAR as bad as fragmentation... weight penetrates. A lead core bullet that fragments or explodes on impact usually breaks into extremely tiny bits ... the problem there is that those bits are so tiny and so light, they lose all of their kinetic energy almost instantly, usually making a nasty looking wound around the area it fragmented, not not deep enough to get the vitals, nor heavy/hard enough to break bone.
The 4 petals on the TSX would still have enough weight to keep penetrating, I would think. I need to find a way to test this. I have some 140 gr 7mm TSX's, and Im trying to locate some 160's, since my 140's are Tipped, and also boattails... not going to act anything like the flat base 160. The 7mm with long heavy bullets have outstanding S.D. and B.C... I am interested in seeing how the behave at very high velocities...

I also REALLY want to test some LRX's in 7mm or preferably .30 cal, and see how they react with their unique tungsten alloy core - but I cant find any around here... although I doubt if I could afford em if they were lol.

Man, I wish Speer/Federal would release component bullets for theie tipped trophy bonded bear claw and especially their .224" 64gr bonded duty round that they sell to LE... those are awesome bullets

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson
Old 02-15-2013, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
The petals breaking is nowhere NEAR as bad as fragmentation... weight penetrates. A lead core bullet that fragments or explodes on impact usually breaks into extremely tiny bits ... the problem there is that those bits are so tiny and so light, they lose all of their kinetic energy almost instantly, usually making a nasty looking wound around the area it fragmented, not not deep enough to get the vitals, nor heavy/hard enough to break bone.
The 4 petals on the TSX would still have enough weight to keep penetrating, I would think. I need to find a way to test this. I have some 140 gr 7mm TSX's, and Im trying to locate some 160's, since my 140's are Tipped, and also boattails... not going to act anything like the flat base 160. The 7mm with long heavy bullets have outstanding S.D. and B.C... I am interested in seeing how the behave at very high velocities...

I also REALLY want to test some LRX's in 7mm or preferably .30 cal, and see how they react with their unique tungsten alloy core - but I cant find any around here... although I doubt if I could afford em if they were lol.

Man, I wish Speer/Federal would release component bullets for theie tipped trophy bonded bear claw and especially their .224" 64gr bonded duty round that they sell to LE... those are awesome bullets
Barnes no longer makes the MRX, which is the bullet with the tungsten core. They replaced it with the LRX, it has a longer boattail and longer ogive then the MRX bullet of the same weight did with no tungsten. I have tested the 145 LRX out of my 7mm-08 and they were extremely easy to find a load for, and they liquified my whitetail does's lungs, heart, and stomach at 100 yards with about a 1" exit. I have about 400 of the 168 LRX for my 284 win once it is done being rebarreled, i will use those for elk and 162 grain A-Max for deer/antelope and coyotes.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damascus View Post

I just looked , I have 3 pulled TSX 160's . do you want them ? if you do send me a pm with your address and I'll get them to you .I can probably send them in a padded envelope cheaply . I'll be gone over the weekend . Jim
Old 03-02-2013, 06:29 PM

i shoot the barnes, best way to go in my opinon. i've shot most of the other bullets out their,with poor game preformance. i dont prefer bloodshot meat, or loosing a animal when a bullet fails. they may not be the best long range bullet but their also not the worst.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 AM
Gold Member

I don't know if there is such a thing as a magic bullet but these mono metal bullets are as close as we hunters are likely to get. It seems there are a lot more hunters that Lille them than that don't
Old 04-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
None of your three would be my choice but between them I'd to with the Barnes.

The Partition is a great penetrater but it's all but useless at long range due to the flat base, BC, and lack of expansion at lower velocieties.
You are absolutely right! If you would like to, take a look over the Atlantic. There you find top fab - ammo and/or bullets in various calibers. Lead free brass bullets (famous already), very expensive but superb. The 300 WM for example has a speed of 1024 m/s at 100 meters! Even excellent reloading tips and data tables.

Munition - Lutz Mller GmbH