Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which is the better hunting bullet?
Barnes TSX/TTSX 417 61.05%
Nosler Partition 266 38.95%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

I should've said it more clearly, what i was trying to say is: If fragments are great when coming from a Berger, then why are they frowned upon when they came from a Barnes? I know they are designed to perform differently, but heck if the petals came off of one of my Barnes bullets and the animal didnt suffer, and expired quickly, then i am perfectly fine with that. I wasnt trying to say that this Barnes performed like a Berger.

Jeff, curious as to what you recovered this bullet from? Distance? Impact velocity?

Damascus, very interested in your results.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Gold Member

And where did it hit the deer. No doubt a bullet can misbehave. But a 7 mm 160@3100 fps at 100 yards on a white tail would need a lot of bone in the way to end up looking like that.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

I agree.. I have 2 recovered shot from a .260, one a deer at 140 yds, the other an insanely large feral hog shot at 40 yds... They both expanded beautifully, but they also were not moving nearly as fast as 3100... Thats hitting awfully hard! I am going to drag my old 7 one of these days and see how it performs

"A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson
Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Gold Member

the problem when the petals blow off is now the bullet is caliber size . it's just about like hunting with a FMJ bullet . also there is only 4 petals to make wound channels , not a lot of fragments .

that bullet never hit a bone , but it did go through about 3 or 4 feet of meat . I was tracking the wounded deer , when it jumped to run I shot it running straight away from me .I thought I was on the base of the neck but I hit it in the upper of the rear leg and the bullet ended up in it's neck . the bullet traveled through the back strap . it did no damage to the meat , or spine , only punched a hole . I killed three animals with the TSX's that I feel delivered less than acceptable results . after I recovered this bullet I stopped using them , as I feel I found the problem .

these were 160's from my 7 rem mag , " heavy per caliber " . if the 160 did this what would the bullet look like if I used light per caliber at a few hundred more FPS , as per recommendations .

Broz , that's a good looking Berger bullet .
Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbires View Post
the problem when the petals blow off is now the bullet is caliber size . it's just about like hunting with a FMJ bullet . also there is only 4 petals to make wound channels , not a lot of fragments .

that bullet never hit a bone , but it did go through about 3 or 4 feet of meat . I was tracking the wounded deer , when it jumped to run I shot it running straight away from me .I thought I was on the base of the neck but I hit it in the upper of the rear leg and the bullet ended up in it's neck . the bullet traveled through the back strap . it did no damage to the meat , or spine , only punched a hole . I killed three animals with the TSX's that I feel delivered less than acceptable results . after I recovered this bullet I stopped using them , as I feel I found the problem .

these were 160's from my 7 rem mag , " heavy per caliber " . if the 160 did this what would the bullet look like if I used light per caliber at a few hundred more FPS , as per recommendations .

Broz , that's a good looking Berger bullet .
i dont know about the fmj part, yes the bullet is now caliber size but the front end is blunt. And we all know that if a bullet is blunt then its BC drops dramaticly, and the BC is the bullets ability to penetrate air, i feel that can also be applied to what the wound channel would look like.

Heres an example. Lets say both bullets pencil with no expansion. Bullet A has a long bottail, long ogive, and a high BC. Bullet B is a flat based wadcutter with a horrible BC. Both bullets hit at 1600 fps.

Bullet A gradually moves tissue out of the way because of the small meplat, Bullet B moves tissue out of the way at a much faster rate because of the much larger frontal surface area or meplat. Therefor leaving a wider wound channel.

Riley

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Gold Member

I ate the back strap , it was not bloodshot .
Old 02-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

. I would say that was perfect performance. If you were useing a Berger or a N.P. you would have had half the penetration and gallons of wasted meat on the same shot at the same speed. . If you don't think a wide flat meplate.kills well , you might have a chat with John Linebaugh. Or a number of African P.H.s .

But, if u don't like Barnes, that's fine, more for those of us that do.