Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Polls

Polls These will all be Admin initiated polls.

View Poll Results: Which is the better hunting bullet?
Barnes TSX/TTSX 417 61.05%
Nosler Partition 266 38.95%
Voters: 683. You may not vote on this poll

Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Barnes TSX/TTSX vs Nosler Partition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Assassin View Post
I have been using partitions since they first became available and have always been happy with their performance out of my .30-06. Though I have not used any Barnes bullets I have heard lots of high praise from those that do.

The Barnes TTSX bullets appeal to me very much however they are not made in the weights I am interested in. I understand their concept of being able to use lighter bullets due to the non-lead and tougher construction. It is just as I am now 63 and I am thinking at using a 7MM STW with one bullet weight for everything from coyotes to very large black bear. I like to use heavy for caliber bullets and the heaviest TTSX bullet Barnes makes is 150 grains. Companies like Nosler and Berger are producing bullets like 175 grain all the way up to the new Berger 195 grain hybrid for long range hunters with a B.C. of 0.672. The Nosler 175 grain Partitionís BC is 0.519 with a sectional density of 0.310. Now Barnesí construction is superior in my opinion but to break big heavy bones of bears and then complete penetration from any angle I want more bullet weight than a 150 grain with a B.C. of 0.450. Yes, I know that is a lot to ask for such a small caliber bullet but I no longer have the budget or the body to handle multiple firearms for specific game.

When I was younger and richer living in Wyoming, I had my deer/antelope rifle, bear/elk rifle, prairie dog rifle, and anyway you get the idea. Now Iím disabled living on a fixed income so I have to make one rifle do many tasks as we all find ourselves these days. The .375 H&H, .270 Winchester and .223 are all sold and gone. Donít get me wrong here Barnes lovers I am more than willing to become a Barnes lover to. I just want to see the bullets that meet my personal interests and wants from Barnes.
Barnes now makes a 168 grain LRX in 7mm with a BC of .550, bergers 195 grainer will have a BC close to .8, not .672.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Gold Member

I'm definitely a Barnes man. Barnes, Swift, Trophy Bonded, Hornady, Speer and Seirra. Are the bullets I mainly shoot. Plus Norma and Lapua. .
If I could only have. 1 bullet in each caliber I shoot they would all be TSX or TTSX. . 1 shot kills are the rule not the exception. And they don't blood shock good meat like the partition does. Quite badly sometimes in fact.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
Kinda odd since they "rate thier bullets use" by weight & caliber with a picture of the critter on the box. Send me your Email & I'll send you a pic. I'm too technology retarded to post pics on LRH from my phone.
30 cal 180, & 200 gr say -& I'm quoting the box here in my hands-
"Game recommendations depending on caliber" -first line.
Next line says
"Deer, Elk, Bear, Moose, African Game"
on the box with a neat picture of an Elk under the caption.

Now it does not say this for the 30 cal 165's, or the 277 cal 140's, but they work great on Elk too from experience.

So maybe you shoot a smaller caliber gun? Or maybe prefer a lighter weight faster bullet for caliber? Maybe Nosler doesn't classify the Accubond they make for a smaller caliber to be worthy of the Deer, Elk, Bear, Moose, African Game stamp? I dunno. I have a relatiave-in-law (is that a word?) who works for Nosler. All the Accubonds are made the same way. Nosler is just down the road from my house by about 15 min. I'll try to swing into the pro shop after work next week & ask how they come up with thier rating system.
But I can certainly show you proof on the box that they are not in any way considered for light or medium game in 30 cal 180, & 200gr, or 338 cal 225 gr.
Nor can I find any literature on the box of 30 cal 165's or 270 cal 140's that indicate small or medium game thin skinned game, but I will concede that it doesn't say deer elk bear moose African game on either of those boxes.

Oh, & fyi, & to clear up miss information on this thread, you & anyone else can Google Nosler reloading, click on products, click on Accubond, scroll down & read the big red letters that say GAME RECOMENDATIONS, DEER ELK BEAR MOOSE AFRICAN GAME.
Nowhere on that page of the Nosler website did it say light thin skinned, or medium anything regarding Accubonds.

I emailed Nosler in direct response to his. Here is the email they replied, word for word:

"The AccuBond was designed to perform like a Partition in a bullet with a poly tip and boattail base. The range for game is the same. The higher BC of the AccuBond will give it a flatter trajectory and higher remaining velocity at extended ranges"
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

Well I did some checking and I see that Nosler makes the AccuBond in 140 gr 6.5 mm so I think I'll get a box and try them. . I wish Hornady would make an Interbond in 6.5 if it had a BC of. 520 or better it would be awesome.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 PM

Thanks barnesuser28 for the info. I looked into the Barnes LRX bullets and plan to try some.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Assassin View Post
Thanks barnesuser28 for the info. I looked into the Barnes LRX bullets and plan to try some.
No problem, i have been VERY impressed with the 280 grain LRX out of my 338 Lapua. If you do a search for "280 grain Barnes LRX" you will find most if not all of my tests and kills last year (2012). I found their G1 BC to be in the .7-.72 range

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM

Ive used the Barnes all copper bullets since they first came out . They have consistently proven highly accurate and most importantly ,left an exit hole. I have never recovered a Barnes bullet.