Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Other Stuff For Sale

Windage Adjustable Front Rest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:10 PM

Thanks Joel

Been on the road all day today. The funds will be in the mail to you first
thing Monday morning via priority mail. I appreciate getting the rest
assembly.

Best Regards,

Don McCutchen
Old 03-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Platinum Member

Joel,

You peeked!

My Sidewinder has been setting there for 5 months waiting on the action.

Bruce has the 1-11 fluted Hart, Harrels brake, Jewel trigger etc and my reamers. Just waiting on the Predator action which is supposed to be there this month.

the old codger will get more money out of me then.

Too bad too many guys here think LR hunting was invented west of the mississippi when in fact guys like Bruce have been doing it for 30 plus years.

BH
Old 03-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Well since both of you fells are here and both appear to have alot of knowledge in the long range target and hunting deal I'll ask a question.

I got a Savage long action , 32" , 1-9 twist 30 cal barrel (thanks Joel) but I can't decide what case to build on it , I like the 338 Lpaua necked down and improved and I know the Savage will ahndel it set up correctly but I also like the 300 RUM with a chamber on the tight side so I'll still be able to shoot factroy ammo.
My main go is to shoot the 240gr Sierra Match King out at 3000 fps or their close to it.
What do you guys think?

Pierre and JP got their rest yesterday and seem happy with it , kinda make me feel like a chump after seeing Joels though !! I sure wish I had access to some CNC's without having to sneek it past Uncle Sam
Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

All my savages are small shank with smaller cases and I think you have to have the large shank at least for the 338 Lapua. I have not seen one built but heard that it can be done. I would start with Fred at Sharp Shooter Supply. If anyone has done it, he has. The RUM definitely is supposed to be on the large shank. the savage action might be the limiting factor here but not for sure. Fred can tell you accurately.

The 338 Lapua case will do what you want with room to spare. In fact, Tom Sarver in Ohio broke the IBS world record with shortened Lapua cases(called the Hulk), and 240 SMKs, 1.403" (5 shots at 1k) 50 score and 5x. The cases had been reloaded 54 times at the time he broke the record. He had 80+ reloadings on them last time I knew and anneals each time.

there is a thread here somewhere talking about the Hulk and the record. Of course some doubted that the Lapua can be reloaded that many times.

New World Record - 1.403" at 1K

300 Hulk- 56 firings same brass

BH

Last edited by BountyHunter; 03-16-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

James,

BH certainly has more experience in the competition arena than I do. I have always respected his knowledge.
Two fold question... what is the intended purpose of this rifle, and how much do you want to fiddle with the brass in the case of a "wildcat".
By intended purpose I mean are you shooting paper or breathing bleeding beings?

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 03-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Platinum Member

it will see some time overlooking some realy big cutovers , maybe a trip out west for a LR deer/Elk hunt , but maybe some informal target shooting , playing with shooting out past 1000yds , may try for a mile shot one day

I don't mind dealy with the trouble making the 338 Lapua into a 30-338 Lapua imp. but the option to be able to shoot factroy ammo is nice with the RUM , also theirs the resale value cause who knows when it may have to find a new home.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

IF the savage can be built on the 338 Lapua, I would bet it would have the higher and quicker resale. Just go to Snipers Hide and list it.

BH