Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc.

WTB: SLSLA (savage large shank long action). Be nice if came w/long&fat 7RUM tube.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Bronze Member

Re: WTB: SLSLA (savage large shank long action). Be nice if came w/long&fat 7RUM tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy427 View Post
it was made. I called savage two days before this post actually . I have been watching this one. the ONLY difference according to savage is the thread I.d. which any gunsmith can open up. the rest of the dimensions are identical.
I stand corrected and the good folks at Savage Shooters(Geargrinder) educated me to this fact also. The Lapua mags where all made with the jumbo action.

The question is... Are the external dimensions larger than the standard 3.500"? I believe not, therefore a standard action can be rethreaded to the large shank and would probably not cost that much to do. So thenew question is...Are the action lugs any different? Can we find that out? Stay tuned!

While your at it you can get things timed and trued as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: WTB: SLSLA (savage large shank long action). Be nice if came w/long&fat 7RUM tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
I'm now having serious doubts as to whether or not this thread was just a waste of time.
Please don't take no offense but seems most of your posts you're chasing things with very little success. What gives?

Hang in there!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Please don't take no offense but seems most of your posts you're chasing things with very little success. What gives?

Hang in there!
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread. I DO appreciate the responses. Anyways, I did just send someone a message in reference to a 7mm that he has for sale. I don't know yet what chamber it has though. And now I'm starting to think that is NOT the best way to go anyways, especially if a long barrel is what I really want. As far as the standard shank RUM bbl goes, I'm not doing it. So that leaves (in addition to buying a barrel) having MY action re-threaded for big shank, being that I don't think I'm likely to find an LSSLA for sale. To be trued, I would need to get the bbl first then, right? The other big question then is WHERE to have the work done. I don't really know any gunsmiths personally that I could have do it. P.S. - as far as: Quote: Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post the larger shank stock uses a better/stronger steel formulation. Could you provide the source of this information? - I believe I did state that incorrectly. The stronger grade of steel is what the large shank ACTIONS are made out of, not the barrels, to compensate for the thinner metal on the threadwalls. OK, that now puts me back (once again) to NOT thinning my action's threadwalls. But who still has or makes long RUM barrels in small shank?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

What about this??? "Go with the Savage Target action. It is the large shank barrel receiver and the action is considerably stronger than the 110 action. I believe the Target action recoil lug is trued at the factory." That does seem to back up what I corrected myself on earlier, in reference to large shank actions being made out of stronger steel. Looks like I'm going to switch up once again, and concentrate on getting one of those babies. That way I can use barrels of the large shank variety, AND the the action will also be up to snuff, to boot! But I'm not really sure exactly where I need to go to to find a savage target action, or even a regular large shank long action, by itself. But at this point, I feel safe making the call that this is going to be my FINAL decision. I AM now ready to plunk down the bux.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Silver Member

Damn, after "finally" saying, "final" decision yesterday, it looks like I might have to back off of that statement now, after seeing what a savage target action is likely to cost me (600, with shipping). And I'd STILL need to put a few more hundred into it for a barrel (I'm ALREADY in 200 on the stock). It's times like this that I wish I was more financially endowed. It's looking like my only route to "salvation" is going to be in finding either a USED target action, or a non-target action that goes both long AND fat (LS-SLA). Since I'm starting to get more desperate now, I'm willing to consider other options, if nobody is willing to part with said action, that they have on hand, for straight up cash. Is there anybody out there who would TRADE their LS-SLA, for my SS-SLA (standard shank, savage long action), PLUS SOME CASH (or even the whole rifle, which is 7mm rem mag, with 300-350 rounds through it)?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Bronze Member

I can see you spending a lot less on you desired action. A stevens 200 long action with magnum bolt head. $275. SSS machining your threads, and other stuff 200. that is 475. I see the whole barreled action thing going for 775 if you use a shilen or something similar. 700 or a touch less for a ER Shaw.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

I'd still like to know the source of your information. The target actions have a smaller loading/ejection port and many are single shot so they are stronger in a way, but it's behind the locking lugs which doesn't seem to be your concern.