Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc.

WTB: SLSLA (savage large shank long action). Be nice if came w/long&fat 7RUM tube.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM
Silver Member

WTB: SLSLA (savage large shank long action). Be nice if came w/long&fat 7RUM tube.

I need to get one of those actions, which I will consider any reasonable deal on. But since my purpose for getting one is fitment of a large shank 7RUM barrel, someone having one of those actions, and willing to sell it WITH a 30-31" heavy contour 7RUM barrel either already attached or simply along with it, would probably work out the best for me. I WILL consider a barrel in which the throat is shot out of, IF it meets the length criteria. If you have the hardware I'm seeking, AND the barrel is still in good (or excellent) shooting condition, I'll go up to 200 higher. But if nobody has the barrel that I'm looking for, I would still be in need of said action.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Bronze Member

Re: WTB: SLSLA (savage large shank long action). Be nice if came w/long&fat 7RUM tub

What model did thes come on? I have never seen one. I had always been under the impression that the large shank was initially made for the WSM's and where only used on short actions. I have seen 223's up to 300wsm's in the SA.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: WTB: SLSLA (savage large shank long action). Be nice if came w/long&fat 7RUM tub

The RUMs use it (except for a very small # of early ones). If it makes you feel any better, I haven't seen one myself yet either. But I want to step up from 7 mag, to 7 ultra mag, and they went to the big shank very early in the game, so I am following suite. Although a RUM barrel COULD be made using standard shank barrel stock, the larger shank stock uses a better/stronger steel formulation. I'm now having serious doubts as to whether or not this thread was just a waste of time. After doing a bit of looking around on the web (particularly the BBN), it appears that most are like you and me - have yet to even SEE one. Let alone one with a 30" 7mm barrel! MY read on the current market is that demand for what I asking for (even just the action) FAR outstrips the available supply. The only way for supply to increase is for the makers to make/sell more. Problem is that, short of going custom & thereby paying some major bux, they only seem to sell the new ones with 26" barrels. Since I plan on burning up barrel throats in pretty short order, I need to start long, giving me enough room to hack some off, every time the throat needs refreshed.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Heat View Post
the larger shank stock uses a better/stronger steel formulation.
Could you provide the source of this information?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRP View Post
Could you provide the source of this information?
I am afraid somebody sold our friend Max some wolf cookies on the whole premis of the illusive SLSLA action and its properties...even its very existance. Sorry brother.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

it was made. I called savage two days before this post actually . I have been watching this one. the ONLY difference according to savage is the thread I.d. which any gunsmith can open up. the rest of the dimensions are identical.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with stangfish.

The whole debate over the benefits of large over small shank has been beat to death.

Bottom line: The benefits are only on paper or in the minds of the owners.

RUM's work just fine in small shank. Many have built them with no reported problems. I've built several.