Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc.

Rem 700 LH shooter RH action wanting new stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rem 700 LH shooter RH action wanting new stock

From your post above, it is not clear to me if your SPS comb is too high and you need to lower it ? Or, it is too low and you need to raise it ?

If it is too low, you could try something a stock pack as mentioned above. Or, install a Karsten's adjustable cheek piece (link below). The Karsten piece will allow you to infinitely raise/lower/adjust the cheek weld to a height that is comfortable for you. If you slant the adjustable cheek piece forward (ala Weatherby), it will cause the comb to drop away from your cheek during recoil instead of rising up and "slapping" your cheek.

If the comb is too high, as mentioned above, get a wood stock and gradually remove wood from the comb until it is comfortable for you. Another advantage to the wood and laminate stocks is that most folks can sand/grind/file to their heart's content until they come up with a shape that is to their liking...

Regardless of what route you take, good luck with your project.

Karsten Adjustable Cheekrest
Old 05-11-2014, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Gerald-

I have a an HS Precision off of a Rem 700 Sendero, I am wanting to sell. I think that most people would agree they are nice stocks. It is inleted for a RH gun but the rear of the stock is a straight comb without a cheek piece on either side, making it really ambidextrous.
It would also solve your bedding problem as they have an Aluminum block in them already. I was just going to drop the price to $275 shipped. If you are interested, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Rem 700 LH shooter RH action wanting new stock-dsc_6501.jpg  
Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 PM

Hey Redneck,
Would that stock work with my "pencil" barrel? Is your sendero a heavy barrel? I guess the aluminum block stock doesn't require/need bedding....is that correct?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

I bought the Boyds stock and really like it. It fits very good and looks good on the rifle.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:18 PM

Orion, thanks for the info. The comb on my current stock may be a little low. I like the karsten-Adjustable-Cheekrest but not sure if it would mount well to the right hand stock with the raised cheek piece I have been looking at some wood stocks but have noticed that some say that a magnum action should not be put in a regular long action stock. Is that true? Do I need to find a magnum stock or would any bdl stock work?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald1755 View Post
... The comb on my current stock may be a little low...
That's the usual case. The Karsten would probably work O.K. Some guys have good luck with a stock pack and then just keep adding foam rubber under it until you get the right height.

Definitely no issue with magnums in McMillan or HS Precision stocks. Have not heard of any issues with a magnum in a Boyd's laminated stock. Just make sure everything fits properly and all the screws are properly tightened.