Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc.

Rem 700 LH shooter RH action wanting new stock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 03:16 PM

Rem 700 LH shooter RH action wanting new stock

I'm looking for some help/suggestions for a stock. I have a Remington 700 in 300 win mag right hand action. I'm a left hand shooter I would like to replace the original sps stock and would like to go with something that might be more favorable to a left handed shooter (cheek weld) Gun will be used mainly for hunting and a little bench shooting. I say little because my shoulder still hurts from the last trip out. Thanks for any advice and info.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:17 AM
Silver Member

Re: Rem 700 LH shooter RH action wanting new stock

Several ways to address the issue. As always, price/cost may determine which ones are appropriate for you. First is stock fit. IF you can handle different rifles with different style stocks, you will eventually figure out that you prefer a certain style/design of stock. I can't help you with what fits good/feels good, to you. Second is recoil pad. The "Limb Saver" recoil pads are generally considered to be one of the softer, more comfortable recoil pads on the market. If you can find a replacement pad for your SPS stock ? Or a replacement stock with a Limb Saver pad ? Finally weight of the stock. Adding a stock that weighs more increases rifle weight and will reduce perceived recoil.

Ideal world, buy a Left Hand McMillan stock inlet for a Right Hand action with a Limb Saver recoil pad. if you really like to shoot from a bench, you can have McMillan add extra weight to the stock to dampen recoil. Downside is $500 and up to 6 months lead time.

IF you like the look of wood, a laminated stock from Boyds Stocks will add a little weight (laminated stocks are heavier than plastic stocks) and can be ordered with a Limb Saver recoil pad. Boyds also offers Left Hand stocks already inlet for right hand actions to address your issue with cheek weld. Best part, base price is generally around a $100 + upgrades, and lead time is about a week for most stocks.

Finally, if you like to tinker, you could always try modifying your current SPS stock by replacing the recoil pad, and/or adding weight by filling the fore arm with epoxy and lead shot.

Good luck with your project....
Old 05-11-2014, 06:21 AM
Silver Member

Get a L.H. gun............ shooting a R.H. gun is dangerous for a L.H. shooter.Too much open area in the bolt raceway.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Thanks Orion. I hadn't heard of Boyd's until you mentioned. I did go to their website and liked a couple of the options they offer. I think their classic stock may be what im looking for I'm not a big fan of the wood grain but I'm sure I could take care of that with some coating/paint or dipping. They may even offer a black finish. I'll have to do more checking.
I also like the idea of tinkering with the original stock for reduced recoil. It would not be a major loss if i didnt like the results of any mods as i wouldnt mind replacing the stock anyway. My biggest curiosity is with the cheek piece. I have always shot LH with a RH stock and have never had the raised cheek area.

I haven't shot the rifle for quite some time. When I first shot it, it was not grouping very well. After trial and error I finally figured out I had a issue with the scope. Had to send back to Leupold to be worked. Now remounted and dialed in, it is shooting very well and has me excited again about improving even more. First objective....make it more comfortable to shoot.

Thanks again
Old 05-11-2014, 10:37 AM
Silver Member

First recommendation: Buy a LH rifle.

Second recommendation: If your stock is wood sand off the cheek piece and whatever else you need to make it fit. Use a stock pack or tape and foam padding to alter the stock for your purposes. You're throwing away money if you buy another stock.

Just an observation: A LH stock is not going to make your shoulder hurt less. Sounds like the recoil of that 300 might be the issue, more so than the stock. Maybe a muzzle break would be a better $150 upgrade than a new stock.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:53 AM

I realize a LH stock is not going to reduce recoil. The purpose or consideration of a new stock in LH is for position and comfort. Also if I want to fit a Recoil pad and possibly bed the stock then I would rather do that on a better stock than the stock sps.
As far as buying a LH rifle....well, after about 38 years of shooting a RH action I kinda got used to it and like it.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Silver Member

Well, if it's a sps, then buy a BDL or CDL RH wood stock and sand the cheek piece off.