Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc.

BAT or STILLER VIPER FOR F-CLASS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Gold Member

Re: BAT or STILLER VIPER FOR F-CLASS?

Where are you located?

When I was looking to do my most recent custom build (F-Class Open Target rig), the smith recommended against the BAT on the basis that Nevada is an extremely dusty location and the BAT action would very likely wear faster that the other action that he was recommending (Barnard). It was NOTHING against the BAT, as that is one of the TWO actions that he normally recommends highly for this type of build. In this case, it was purely location driven...

JeffVN
Old 08-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

Curious that everybody pings on the BAT for being 'tight' in dusty locations.

The shooter I mentioned above shoots Prone (and occasionally F-Class, when his wife forces him) on ranges like Sacramento (dry and gritty from what I've heard), Raton (definitely sandy/gritty) and Rattlesnake - where if you don't sneak your muzzle far enough forward of the front of the berm will result in you getting a face (and action) full of sand after each shot in a headwind (dominant condition, no less)...

I know I've never had any problem with a Savage action in such conditions; and I can't imagine Bud sticking with the BAT actions if he had any problems as such... might have to call him and pick his brain on the subject (he doesn't really use a computer very often).
Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 AM

I know I`m of the traget (topic) now but I took this up with Jannie Els the SA Team Captain. He - without hesitation - recommended the Savage action and mod 12 gun for Ftr. Told me about a good friend of him Stan Pate shooting only Savage Rifles for Ftr. Personally, I think there is merit in what he says as well what Monte said. Thank you very much.
BAT and Stiller are great but at the price the Savage might be a far better option. I`ll be buying a Savage for Ftr!
Thanks to Bruce Thom from BAT for a great email response.

Last edited by casspir; 08-20-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanuk View Post
Curious that everybody pings on the BAT for being 'tight' in dusty locations.

The shooter I mentioned above shoots Prone (and occasionally F-Class, when his wife forces him) on ranges like Sacramento (dry and gritty from what I've heard), Raton (definitely sandy/gritty) and Rattlesnake - where if you don't sneak your muzzle far enough forward of the front of the berm will result in you getting a face (and action) full of sand after each shot in a headwind (dominant condition, no less)...

I know I've never had any problem with a Savage action in such conditions; and I can't imagine Bud sticking with the BAT actions if he had any problems as such... might have to call him and pick his brain on the subject (he doesn't really use a computer very often).
Milanuk

I do know one piece of sand on the lug locked up my 10" BAT tighter than a drum. We had to take the barrel off, and the sand left an indentation that hat do be smoothed out. No hard evidence, but the metal seems to be slightly softer than others.

I love the BAT but would not pick it for a hunting gun for sure

BH
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
Milanuk

I do know one piece of sand on the lug locked up my 10" BAT tighter than a drum. We had to take the barrel off, and the sand left an indentation that hat do be smoothed out. No hard evidence, but the metal seems to be slightly softer than others.

I love the BAT but would not pick it for a hunting gun for sure

BH

Speedy was shooting next to me at a 400 yard egg match and was shooting in a customers rifle he just built with a BAT and a big gust of wind blew dirt across the line and caused that BAT to lock up tighter than a tick!! Will not repeat what Speedy said here...