Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc.

BAT or STILLER VIPER FOR F-CLASS?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 02:24 AM

BAT or STILLER VIPER FOR F-CLASS?

With F-Class in mind, what is the best action; BAT MB ROUND or STILLER VIPER SS, or are both great?

I emailed Stiller but their reaction is not what I would call enthusiastic or informative.

New to this so help would be appreciated.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: BAT or STILLER VIPER FOR F-CLASS?

Just my .02 both are great....but I would take the BAT. All my BR and F-class rifles are built on BAT actions.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 AM

Thanks Eddybo,

I tend to agree with you. For one thing the service(back-up) might be better at BAT. Not knocking Stiller but I was dissapointed in their email response.

Last edited by casspir; 08-19-2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 PM
Gold Member

Have you considered a Barnard, Stolle, or for that matter, Savage, action? I couldn't tell you the numbers for the F-Open team, but at the recent FCWC, the USA F/TR team fielded five Savage target actions, four Barnards, and one Stolle Panda. No Remchester clones - although I've seen enough of those shoot as well to not discount them either.

I have a Stiller TAC30. Lots of drama around actually getting the dang thing in my hands. Shoots great, but I don't think I'd buy one of their products again, unfortunately.

One guy I know, very serious shooter (Felix 'Bud' Solis, you might have seen him in a recent Berger bullets ad ;) ) has something like six or seven BAT actions last time I asked - obviously he loves 'em. Chambered in everything from .223 to some moderate thumpers (Bud shoots from a sling, so no muzzle breaks), very smooth, exceptionally accurate.

Barnards are a little less pretty to look at (kind of like Savage ;) ), but with the deviation between the euro and USD, the RPA Quadlocks have been priced out of competition, and the Barnard comes with a very nice functional trigger installed - or you can hang any 700-compatible trigger you want on there. Right bolt, left bolt, left port, right port, dual port, mag fed, etc. They make 'em all. They seem to be one of the current darlings for the long-range prone (Palma/F-TR) community.

I'm pretty partial to the Savage target action - order one, get in line for a true-n-time job @ SSS + one of their 2oz triggers, order a barrel, stock, etc. wrench it all together, start shooting. When your turn comes up @ SSS, send off the action and when it comes back it'll be all slicked up and shooting even better. Maybe not as slick as a BAT, but there's a price differential of 3-4x there...

YMMV,

MOnte
Old 08-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Platinum Member

Fred at Sharpshooter Supply normally has 1 or 2 timed and trued savage target actions for sale. About 6 months ago, they were $500 ready to go.

BH
Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

I use Jerry's products From the Python to the Predators-----if you get much dust on a BAT which I have some of those as well you will notice binding when working the bolt. Been there done that. I shoot BR and am not on the ground which would make the dust and dirt problem a little more pronounced.

Both are outstanding products.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I use Jerry's products From the Python to the Predators-----if you get much dust on a BAT which I have some of those as well you will notice binding when working the bolt. Been there done that. I shoot BR and am not on the ground which would make the dust and dirt problem a little more pronounced.

Both are outstanding products.

I was told the same thing about the BAT actions, prior to having Kirby build my 338AM. We had the bolt fluted, as it works as a 'self cleaner' according to Kirby. It has, I've used it in Colorado elk hunting for 2 years. No problems, and I've had it dirty!

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives