Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Gun Parts - Stocks, Barrels, Actions, etc.

Barrel Block info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

Barrel Block info

Hey guys, I've been doing some reserch for some time regarding barrel blocks. I am currently building a new project with a Nesika Model L, 1.470 Diameter Action with a Krieger 30", 1.450 straight cylinder barrel. Some people say, " you need a barrel block", however, the majority of long range shooters, many gunsmiths, and action makers have informed me a barrel block is not needed if using a Large Diameter Custom Action.

I spoke with both BAT and Nesika and this is the information I received; Nesika informed me their Nesika Model L, 1.470 diameter action will have no problem supporting a 30", 1.450 diameter barrel, and BAT informed me their BAT 8.5 M, 1.55 Diameter Action will have no probelem supporting a 30", 1.50 diameter barrel. I also spoke with Two highly regarded gunsmiths that informed me a barrel block would not be needed. One of the gunsmiths said, if the barrel was over 36's it might be useful

I do understand that they provide more support, which is not a bad thing. However, I have heard some say a rifle with a large diameter barrel and barrel block will out shoot a rifle without a barrel block, I don't believe that. From all the information I have read, a barrel block is not needed on certain rifles with proper actions. I know they are used on rifles with Remington actions and large diamter barrels, and I can see why they may help in that case. Remington actions are not nearly in the same class, strength wise, as a large diameter custom actions.

I truly believe some gunsmiths are not honest with their customers when it comes to this topic, so they can make extra cash. I believe it's just another way to get someone to spend extra money on a component that is not needed.

Remember, I am not saying they don't work. However, I am saying from all the information I have read and the information givin to me by some top gunsmiths, they are not necessary on most projects with large diameter custom actions.

I would like to hear what you guys have to say about this topic. It was very interesting to hear the comments from Nesika and BAT, and I thought you guys should know this before you spend extra money on a barrel block.

Wildcat
Old 04-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Barrel Block info

You are correct the action will support that size barrel and will be accurate assuming that its put togeter right.
Now your using a 30" barrel thats 1.45" in diameter , now do you think that a barrel that is 24" in the same diameter would be stiffer? hell yea and a stiffer barrel will more than likely be more accurate after several shot.
A barrel block is used to make the gun use a long barrel and make it stiffer while releaving all stress from the action and remaining barrel.

I'm not gonna say that the barrel blocked gun will shoot better than the no blocked but I would say that the odds of the blocked gun shooting better than the no blocked gun are better.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

I like the idea of a barrel block, but by moving the anchor more to the middle of the rifle does this cause any problems with having TWO harmonics? One from the barrel that is floating and a Second from the action that is also floating.

Not arguing, just asking [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

edge.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Short fat barrels tend to shoot better than long ones is the belief in the BR community.

A barrel block artifically shortens your barrel harmonics to the length extending out past the barrel block, thus giving you the short fat barrel in theory.

Plus it allows you to hang big, long and heavy barrels on actions without any question of support as the action is free floated also.

Experiments have shown that 9" is the optimum length for a barrel block and you want a split or two piece block for simplicity of changing barrels. jBruce Baer has done more work in this area than anyone else and he is considered the guru on these.

BH
Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

That makes sense, but wouldn't the action have some harmonics also?
I suppose that the mass of the action is small in comparison to the barrel and barrel block so the vibrations may be insignificant.

edge.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Gold Member

the 10 inch block makes your 30 inch barrel into a 20 inch barrel. the 30 inch barrel will have some droop in it. the block will cut some of the droop out.

As far as action harmonics they are not an issue. In barrel harmonics the barrel is whipping as the bullet is traveling down the bore. the action is just hanging off the end of the block, and it harmonics are behind the bullet not causing any negative effects to the barrel harmonics.

You need to ask yourself if you want the most accuracy you can get the easiest, or do you want avg accuracy thats hard to obtain? The barrel block would give you the most and easiest obtained accuracy.

jm2cw

d-a
Old 04-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

As I mentioned in my post, I am sure they do have there up side. However, I don't think there neccesary if using the correct custom action. Like I said, I think it's the gunsmiths responsibility to be honest with the customer and let them know if a barrel block is neccesary. As I mentioned, if your using a large diameter custom action, like Nesika or BAT, you wont need a barrel block.

I wanted to make this post, because I've heard so many stories about guys getting talked into barrel blocks, and they were not neccesary. Make sure you do your homework when building a custom rifle, espicially the first timer. I admit, I would have easly been talked into a barrel block during my first custom rifle build. However, I had a very honest and well known gunsmith who informed me I did not need one if I was using a Large Diameter Nesika or BAT action. This gunsmith gave me valuable info during my first custom rifle build. I have learned a bunch since that time, and I want to make sure the first timer gets this info too.

Nesika and BAT informed me there large diameter actions would have no problem handling large diamter barrels without barrel blocks. If you think I am making this up, just give them a call, and they will tell you the same thing they told me. Nesika and BAT make there large diameter actions for this exact reason. However, if your going to use a 40" or longer barrel, then you might want to see if a barrel block would be benificial.

I just think there are a lot of gunsmiths out there trying to get people to spend money on equipment that is not needed. I have been swindled by a gunsmith before, so I know it happens. It is a long story, but I got taken for alot of money, because I did not know what to look for. I DO NOW!!

Wildcat