Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Reloading Equipment and Components

WTB: 338 Lapua Brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

WTB: 338 Lapua Brass

I am looking for up to 100 Lapua or Norma brand new or once fired cases for my 338 Lapua. Please let me know what you got and how much shipped to 92078.

Thanks,
lv2hunt
Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: WTB: 338 Lapua Brass

I don't believe anyone will part with their .338 cases, I know I won't.....

Widners Shooting Supply has .338 Lapua/PPU brass (never loaded) on their site at 150 bucks per 100 which is about 35 bucks under the street price of Lapua/Lapua brass.

Cabelas has .338 Lapua/Lapua brass for 215 a hundred in the store and online.

Hope that helps....
Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Silver Member

Anyone have experience with the PPU brass?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

If you can't find any and your only other option is to buy it from a distributor, MidwayUsa has it on sale for $259 per 100.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

I have to correct something you state... Midway is not a distributor. They are a retailer. Concerning PPU, RZK Distributing is the sole US importer/distributor of PPU and they don't sell to the public.

Midway is higher (retail) than Cabelas is on genuine Lapua brass and Widners is less expensive on PPU.

Of course you have to take into account ship costs (and Haz-Mat fees on loaded cartridges) versus brickfront store purchases. In person sales will net you sales tax at your state's rate....

One thing about dealing with Widners (and I do, alot) is Widners will require a hard copy of your drivers license before they will conduct business with you, on any item.

I found that odd, but I just faxed a copy to them years ago. No biggie here....

My 3 go to retailers are Widners, Natchezz and Cabelas.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I have to correct something you state... Midway is not a distributor. They are a retailer. Concerning PPU, RZK Distributing is the sole US importer/distributor of PPU and they don't sell to the public.

Midway is higher (retail) than Cabelas is on genuine Lapua brass and Widners is less expensive on PPU.

Of course you have to take into account ship costs (and Haz-Mat fees on loaded cartridges) versus brickfront store purchases. In person sales will net you sales tax at your state's rate....

One thing about dealing with Widners (and I do, alot) is Widners will require a hard copy of your drivers license before they will conduct business with you, on any item.

I found that odd, but I just faxed a copy to them years ago. No biggie here....

My 3 go to retailers are Widners, Natchezz and Cabelas.
You are correct about the distributor part. I thought about changing it after I posted and read it but I decided that it didn't matter too much. You might want to check your prices between Cabelas and MidwayUSA though. The price for 338 Lapua Magnum brass at Cabelas is $289.00. The price for it at MidwayUSA is regularly $279.00 but is on sale right now for $259.00. Even if it is not on sale it is cheaper at MidwayUSA.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

I might have jumped the gun on the online price. I presumed it was the same as the in store pricing (at Cabelas).... I live within long range shooting distance of Cabelas so I'm in there more than I really want to be (I'm addicted to their peanut butter fudge....a true confession......)

Not demeaning Cabelas in any way because Cabelas carries quality merchanside but comparison shopping Cabelas against other retailers, Cabelas is usually higher in price, especially on firearms.

Actually I buy so much at the store, most of the people know me by first name and I have one of those black cards too.....

Speaking tongue-in-cheek, I'm really non-commital on PPU brass. I'm having some ongoing issues with PPU or should I say RZK over the .338 caliber factory loads (which are loaded in the same brass that is sold empty).

I purchased them at Cabelas and Cabelas is being very forthright in dealing with the problem so far........(fingers crossed)

Needless to say, from my personal experience, I would only purchase Lapua factory loaded rounds. Not Hornady which supposedly has soft brass bases that won't retain primers or the suspect (in my experience) PPU.

Outwardly, the PPU cases appear to be very well constructed and they chamber easily in my bolt action Savage and hold a tight group (factory load). They aren't Scenars or Lock Bases by any means but they didn't rape my wallet either.....