Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Reloading Equipment and Components

hunting verus target VLDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 03:48 AM
Platinum Member

Re: hunting verus target VLDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1legmont View Post
how do they compare on game? I have been told you can hunt with either.

Cheers
You can hunt with either, but the hunting bullets have a thinner jacket to start expansion on impact. Target bullets have a heavier jacket to reduce blow up in mid air. Might go completely thru without opening.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Platinum Member

I hunt with both almost every year. I have never seen any Berger open on impact, they are designed to penetrate in 3 to 5" and then start the expansion. This is what they both do. In some cases depending on velocity and what "target bullet" we are talking, I have seen the Targets even work better. For instance the 215 Hybrid in 30 cal. We have used them extensively and every single animal had a nice .308 entrance and destroyed vitals. This was a total of 19 big game animals last season. After 500 to 600 yards the expansion was less and we got exits of the 1 1/4" size on all that exited. That included an antelope at 1285 yards. I hunted for years with the 210 Hunting VLD before trying the 215. I will not be changing back.

Jeff
Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I hunt with both almost every year. I have never seen any Berger open on impact, they are designed to penetrate in 3 to 5" and then start the expansion. This is what they both do. In some cases depending on velocity and what "target bullet" we are talking, I have seen the Targets even work better. For instance the 215 Hybrid in 30 cal. We have used them extensively and every single animal had a nice .308 entrance and destroyed vitals. This was a total of 19 big game animals last season. After 500 to 600 yards the expansion was less and we got exits of the 1 1/4" size on all that exited. That included an antelope at 1285 yards. I hunted for years with the 210 Hunting VLD before trying the 215. I will not be changing back.

Jeff
Jeff,
How do you think the 215's will work at close range coming out of the muzzle at 3200?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornhunter32 View Post
Jeff,
How do you think the 215's will work at close range coming out of the muzzle at 3200?
We shot one bull @ 200 yards right behind the shoulder and exiting through the far shoulder. The penetration was like 26" and almost exited. This was at 3035 fps for a muzzle velocity. So, I have no actual field data for you, but I would not be too worried about it.

Jeff