Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Reloading Equipment and Components

hunting verus target VLDs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

hunting verus target VLDs

does anybody know...identical loads..... will berger hunting vlds hit the same place down range (800 yds) as target vlds? ? I'm guessing not...but am wondering if anybody knows
Old 07-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: hunting verus target VLDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvandersnick View Post
does anybody know...identical loads..... will berger hunting vlds hit the same place down range (800 yds) as target vlds? ? I'm guessing not...but am wondering if anybody knows
Hey Jerry, while working up a load for my 260 I shot a lot of target VLD's and they had the exact point of impact as the hunting VLD's of the same weight. The same goes for my 6.5-284. They have the same BC and the same weight so in my experience POI was the same. I'm sure there are a lot of people will argue but that is just my experience. Hope this helps.

Brandon
Old 07-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIP N PULL View Post
Hey Jerry, while working up a load for my 260 I shot a lot of target VLD's and they had the exact point of impact as the hunting VLD's of the same weight. The same goes for my 6.5-284. They have the same BC and the same weight so in my experience POI was the same. I'm sure there are a lot of people will argue but that is just my experience. Hope this helps.

Brandon
hey Brandon.... thanks for responding........ interesting....I almost felt like it was a dumb question...as some talk about identical bullets from different lots having different downrange POI. You didn't really say in your answer.....the similar POI that you refer to... is that 100 yds or downrange...like past 600 or 800 yds?

Would be interested in what some others have to say.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

Aren't these the classifieds?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvandersnick View Post
hey Brandon.... thanks for responding........ interesting....I almost felt like it was a dumb question...as some talk about identical bullets from different lots having different downrange POI. You didn't really say in your answer.....the similar POI that you refer to... is that 100 yds or downrange...like past 600 or 800 yds?

Would be interested in what some others have to say.
Yes to both. In my experience POI was the same near and far. It doesn't matter what range they shoot the same for me. Take care

Brandon
Old 07-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Silver Member

how do they compare on game? I have been told you can hunt with either.

Cheers
Old 07-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

I have also found the POI and group size to be the same.between the target and hunting 140 VLD's with my 6.5x284's The 142 JLK's also have the same POI out to 1000 yards, but give consistently smaller groups (.2-.3 vs.25-.5 MOA) in my Cooper, but same group size of .25-.5MOA in my Savage. ES is comparable for all of them. I don't see much of a difference on killing effect with deer sized game between them. With deer and antelope from 50-1000 yards, complete penetration on broadside shots with good wound channels. On angled shots, same damage but never found anything more than partial jacket material with any of them.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt