Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Reloading Equipment and Components

Buy Primers or Wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Buy Primers or Wait?

Thanks acloco, I'll give them both a look and see if they are in my area. My wife is getting into reloading now, yeah isn't that awesome! lol, and she doesn't mind driving to avoid the hazmat fee. Comes to a savings of about 7 gallons of gas!

Thanks

DocB

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocB View Post
Thanks acloco, I'll give them both a look and see if they are in my area. My wife is getting into reloading now, yeah isn't that awesome! lol, and she doesn't mind driving to avoid the hazmat fee. Comes to a savings of about 7 gallons of gas!

Thanks

DocB
The 215s are in stock at Midsouth Shooters while I am responding for $30.19 for 1000 and $26 for haz mat fee. Having said that 7 gallons of gas @ ~ $3 is not really a saving; not to mention travel time and wear and tear on vehicle ... just saying.

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Bronze Member

I have come to prefer the Winchester primers for the 338 Lapua. I had always avoided them in the past based on there reputation for non/inconsistent ignition. About a year or so ago I picked up a brick of wlrm's to test them in my load development for the Lapua and to my supprise, we're producing much more consistent mv's than the 215 match primers I had been using. I can consistently get 1/3 moa groups out to 600 yards with 91.5 grains of h1000 and 300 grain accubonds and have yet to find one that didn't go bang. I am currently doing load development for a recently acquired 280AI using the same primers and things are looking promising there as well.

If you can pick them up at a fair price, give em' a shot. They might just surprise you. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLD338 View Post
I have come to prefer the Winchester primers for the 338 Lapua. I had always avoided them in the past based on there reputation for non/inconsistent ignition. About a year or so ago I picked up a brick of wlrm's to test them in my load development for the Lapua and to my supprise, we're producing much more consistent mv's than the 215 match primers I had been using. I can consistently get 1/3 moa groups out to 600 yards with 91.5 grains of h1000 and 300 grain accubonds and have yet to find one that didn't go bang. I am currently doing load development for a recently acquired 280AI using the same primers and things are looking promising there as well.

If you can pick them up at a fair price, give em' a shot. They might just surprise you. Just my 2 cents.
Are you using magnum or standard LR Winchester primers in your 338?

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Are you using magnum or standard LR Winchester primers in your 338?
I'm using the Winchester long rifle magnums (WLRM).
Old 03-15-2014, 11:14 PM
Bronze Member

My latest go'round with Winchester LRPs. Had to send 5000 back to Winchester and instead of replacements I just got a check back in the mail... for less than I had paid for the primers. These are minimum 7mm-08 loads.

Old 03-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Bronze Member

And yes, in case you are wondering... it did etch the living hell out of my bolt face.