Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Reloading Equipment and Components

Buy Primers or Wait?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Buy Primers or Wait?

Howdy All,

Like the rest of you I'm dismayed, frustrated, disappointed, angry at times and suspicious most of the time at the lack of or the incredibly slow return of components to the consumer shelves.

So now I have to make a decision... whether to buy now components that I consider to be non-optimal or to just wait... and wait.

I have been holding out for FED GM215M primers for over a year (as well as H1000 but that's another thread). For whatever reason, they are not showing up. However WinLR and WinLRM are on the shelves and online (Third Gen SS). IMO Win primers history of reliability issues make them less than optimal for LR precision.

But if it comes down to 'it's all there is, use it and suck it up' then my question is, would those of you who use FED GM215M or FED GM215s rather just wait out the drought or use 'what's available'?

Right now, I'm undecided.

Thanks guys,

DocB

Animo et Fide "Courage and Faith"

"History does not long trust the care of freedom to the weak or timid" Dwight David Eisenhower
Sic Semper Tyrannis...Veritas et Aequitas

Last edited by DocB; 03-11-2014 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Moved to Reloading Forum
Old 03-11-2014, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Buy Primers or Wait?

I've found the 215Ms and H-1000 both on the shelves here; at least they were a few weeks ago when I went shopping.

I suspect it is a matter of where you shop and who's been there before you. It can vary greatly from shop to shop and week to week based on what I have seen personally and heard from others. On the trip mentioned above I went to a few different shops to find some powders and primers, and even then still didn't find a couple that I was looking for.

PS. This topic probably belongs in the reloading section, not the Classified Ads.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:21 AM
Gold Member

I haven't seen Federal Match primers for quite a while.

Using CCI 250 instead.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:55 AM
Platinum Member

Having run into the same issue, myself and several of my shooting buddies tested the Win LR/SR primers as a substitute in several rifles and loads. We found little if any difference in velocity, ES, and accuracy compared to Federsl match primers. While we would have preferred tp stay with Federal primers, the Winchesters worked fine. I have also found that in my 300WM and 6.5x284 LR rifles, that the standard Fed215's produced identical results as the Federal 215M primers in velocity, ES, and accuracy as well. I used Winchester primers for several years when I first got into target/tactical competition and did exceptionally well with them. I don't know what's going on with Federal with all their components, but they do need to get their act together.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 03-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

I always buy them for future use or trading potentials.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I always buy them for future use or trading potentials.
+1, bird in hand.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

primers

DocB,

I have EXCELLENT success with WOLFE and TULA brands of primers. Might give them a try.

I have seen WOLFE small rifle at 23.99 per 1K. If you buy enough, the hazmat fee would dry up quickly.

Tom