Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Optics For Sale

Optics For Sale Including mounting systems

Wild Rangefinders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 03:55 PM

Wild Rangefinders

I have scrounged up 2 more Swiss military surplus Wild Rangefinders. I already have one but I found two more and bought them just to pass along as they have become increasingly hard to find. Every now and then they pop up but the Swiss Army only made so many so I snatched these to pass along to ELR shooters.

These things would cost about $5000 to produce today and the optics are of incredible quality. I believe they are made to estimate range out to 20,000 yards and are a co-incidence optical device so they don't have the limitations that lasers do and cost about 1/10 as much.

Very easy to use but somewhat bulky. They are a tube about 3" X 25" but for shooting at 1500 yards and up they are about the only thing available that doesn't cost several thousand dollars.

I will sell them for $475 each plus shipping (should be about $30) if anyone is interested.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wild Rangefinders

Man I wish I could afford one of these!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Silver Member

I think you need to check your tape measure!!!!
Mine was 6" dia and at least 36" long. just guessing because I don't have it any more.
Also, mine ranged in meters not yards, just for a heads up.
Mine was 11 power and worked great, I think? never did use it!!!
So, now it has a new happy owner!

I know the diehard varmint hunters really like them.
Cam
Old 06-24-2009, 09:57 PM

You are thinking about the case. The actual optic is under 3" in diameter with a couple rubber "doughnuts" on each end that are a little over 4" in diameter.

You are correct that it reads in meters, but it will still range out past 20,000 yards.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK View Post
You are thinking about the case. The actual optic is under 3" in diameter with a couple rubber "doughnuts" on each end that are a little over 4" in diameter.

You are correct that it reads in meters, but it will still range out past 20,000 yards.
Yes, I know I'm correct I had one! So???? is it 24" or 36" long?????
Bottom line, it's a "big" range finder that works!
I'm not trying to pick a fight LMK, just trying to discribe the unit for all who are interested.
bottom end starts at 300 meters, or 330 yards. max is 20,000 meters or 22,000 yards.
The wild will range farther than any hand held rifle will shoot!! No dought about it!
It is not designed to carry around and hunt with. (would you agree with this?)
It will range out on the flat ground better than any electronic unit.
They are hard to find, and when you have one you keep it, untill you find something better.
If there is a "better" range finder? I look at better as in useful to me.
I just know I'd rather carry my leica 1200 or my leica locator plus than my old wild!!
Will my leica range 20,000 meters? NO, but I can't hit anything at that distance anyway. LOL
I just sold my wild to Paul, about the same as your asking for yours so I think the price is right!

Anyway, take care, shoot long
Cam
Old 06-26-2009, 05:44 PM

I believe we are in agreement but I would say that if a guy is coming in on a quad or other vehicle setting up in a basin for elk or something and can range several objects it would still have a hunting application. Am I going to put one in my backpack and start hiking? no way! Then again, if you are shooting a .50 cal or a .408 Chey Tac you probable ditched the idea of climbing mountains on foot with your 22# gun anyway.

It is the least expensive option for a guy who wants to do some ELR target shooting out at 2500+ yards and can't put out $3,000 for laser optics. It is the cheapest solution for 1,500 ranging and the only solution for anything much above it, but no question it is for a very small fraternity of people and uses.

Have a good one.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 PM

Forgot to mention, it is a little over 24", but nowhere near 36".