Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Optics For Sale

Optics For Sale Including mounting systems

FS/ Vortex Viper Scope's- Price drop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

Re: FS/ Vortex Viper Scope's- Price drop

I have to admit I thought you guys were to hard on SouthPaw but if he's selling used scopes and representing them as being used as new I'd be a little disappointed also. I don't think he's sold them all so he probably screwed himself!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

I wasn't hard on him. Merely pointing out that you need to practice due dilligence when selling anything on the net.

In retrospect, maybe I should have been more hard assed.

I came real close to buying one as well. I had just bought a PST from Cameraland the week prior.

I could have gotten a used/new scope too.

Scopes aren't like a jacket that you can try on to see if it fits and if it don't put it back on the rack, scopes, when you tighten the rings, are for all practical purposes, used, or even a rifle. Just think about how many people handled the rifle you bought off the shelf at your local gun shop..... Probably quite a few and some probably had dirty hands, or worse....

Now, I might be able to pass a used scope off as new because I never have any ring marks, I carefully lap and align my rings, always.

Me, I'd not ever consider that because I want to be honest and play fair, but I could get away with it...........

Just say'in.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

I have to let you know most guy's don't have a clue what lapping rings is. I shot for twenty five years before I learned the value of lapping rings. Now I move my scopes from one rifle to another and don't have ring marks. The truth is he probably got a good scope for the $ spent. Ring marks don't effect how it works.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Not on thread as it pertains to the scope sale but ring marks, if pronounced enough can indicate damage to the tube or erector mechanism. It's quite possible with mis aligned rings to tighten the caps and deform the tube and render the optic useless.

Neither here nor there and not germane to this thread but noteworthy anyway.

Just lapping a set of rings for maximum contact and concentricity is half the procedure. The other half and something that is not commonly done is aligning the rings themselves to the bore/base/rail in relationship to the scope.

Not for everyone but certainly for me. Remember, the farther you shoot, the more pronounced even a slight alignment issue becomes and LR scope don't come cheap. Why chance it.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Silver Member

no matter how you slice it he payed new price for a used scope and has every right to be pissed. this is why if your willing to pay new price buy from a authorized dealer so this wont happen
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 AM
Silver Member

..yup lessons learned....

I have over 1,000 transaction on ebay involved in the sale and purchase of goods over $70,000

I have BEEN VERY LUCKY since 1998.

I also have numerous buys/sells on ArcheryTalk and other hunting forums....

SO, I have to admit that I am disappointed in this specific transaction.

I know that Vortex will warranty 1st, 2nd owner, etc....The ring marks are slightly sub-surface [very slight]

But, for the OP to not HONESTLY disclose this fact is enough to warrant his future REPUTATION = Buyer Beware.

I typically do not buy here on LongRange because they DO NOT have a feedback system that is readily apparent on the users name.....
NRA Life Member
http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchersParadox2020
Old 09-30-2012, 06:08 AM
Silver Member

If you go back through this specific thread......then you can see hindsight is 20/20.

Detailed Pictures of the scopes would have quickly made the decision process better.

AND, the fact that the OP initially was selling ABOVE MAP [minimum advertised price] was another clue.

I mounted the scope on my 6.5x61Super and will "test drive" it this morning....stay tuned...
NRA Life Member
http://www.youtube.com/user/ArchersParadox2020