Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Humor

Trust Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-19-2010, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Re: Trust Land

Sorry guys, I got some bad new from home and had to make an emergency trip back for a few days. My Dad has been in a nursing home since last fall and he has been going down hill fast. Got the news that his kidneys were shutting down and it would only be a few more days most likely.

The old man worked two jobs when I was a kid. He still had time to take me hunting and fishing though. We had a flat bottom river boat and used to set throw lines in the Missouri River. We tied them to pilings and we would go back and check them every day. Sometimes we'd beach up on a sand bar and swim or just wade while we ate our lunch and had a pop. We hunted ducks up and down the river and I have some pretty good stories from those days. My Dad hardly ever missed a duck, and if he did, my brother and I got a good laugh out of it for some reason. He was the first person I ever heard talk about "instinctive pistol shooting". He taught me to take a more squared stance than was popular at the time and look over the top of the barrel like a shotgun with both eyes open. Twenty-five years later, all the LE departments are teaching the same thing. LoL He was a big fan of John Browning and his shotgun of choice back in those days was an old A-5. (that was the days of lead shot) After her retired from the railroad, (I was still in the Navy) my folks moved up to SD onto Big Stone Lake. He built a single level house with 36" doorways and a 2 1/2 car attached garage. He decided that they were going to live there as long as they could. Mom is still there but it's too big (7 lake lots) for her now.
Anyway, I'll get back to the story here pretty soon. Just been a little pre-occupied. I did manage to get into a little fight Sunday with a drunk though. (He lost)

Tom

Unread 03-19-2010, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

roaddog1m, sorry to hear your Dad isn't doing well. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Take care.
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
roaddog1m, sorry to hear your Dad isn't doing well. My thoughts and prayers are with you and yours. Take care.
What Chas said. On the lighter side, reading your P.M. you did make him smile, as he recognised his son and buddy!He said ''Sonny'' right? So aparently you both had fun fishin and huntin. Stuff like that says alot wiyhout saying anything at all.
I wish you and your family the best.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Unread 03-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
+1 on what Chas1 said.
Unread 03-19-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
+3 on Chas1

Take as long as you need, we're not goin any where.
Unread 03-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

I know that this is not what you would normally post in the Humor section but I wanted to post this where my friends who've been following "Trust Land" would see it. My Dad passed away last night after a long illness. He was 85 years old.
My Dad worked two jobs most of his life and always had time to take us fishing or hunting. Once a year he would let me stay home from school to go duck hunting. Usually on a day when the "Mudballers" were flying. (Mudballers are mallards that have sat out in the Iowa cornfield feeding and then tried to to fly with big gumbo mud balls stuck to their feet. Not able to get more than tree top high usually and looking for the closest body of water to soak their feet)
We camped a lot during the summer and usually fished out of a 16' flat bottom river boat. He called me "Sonny" in his later years and like to hear stories of me working out on the Rez. We would have coffee and I'd tell stories as we would waste most of a morning sitting at his kitchen table. He was the original Tom Sawyer as a kid, growing up on the Missouri River during the depression and even building his own boats. He went into the Navy during WWII and became an Electricians Mate. After the Navy, he married my Mom (over 50yrs ago) and had a large brood of hellians who are my brothers and sisters. I was the last of the Mohicans, Mom and Dad getting the surprise when my Dad was 41yrs old.
I'm going to miss him.

Unread 03-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

I never know what to say, so I'll quote a man named Cotton Cordell (I'll bet your Dad knew of him): "Teach your children to love the Lord, teach them to love their family, teach them to love their country, and then when the time comes, no drug dealer can teach them anything".

I thought that the sun rose and set on my Dad, until he started drinking, and it got rocky after that, but I am still astonished at how much of him I find in myself and my 2 brothers, mostly the good stuff, not much of the bad. All 3 of us are veterans, like him, our families all think that we can fix anything, or make anything, just like him. We all love to hunt, shoot, and fish, like him, and he even taught us hard lessons about alcoholics. We saw enough to know we would never be alcoholics. He was 78 when he passed, had been sober for 5 yrs, and had embraced Christ as his saviour. He reconciled with some of his family, and one of my granddaughters loved him instinctively the first time she ever saw him. All in all, he could have done worse and so could we.

As time passes, some of the sting will pass also, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time