Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Humor

Trust Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Trust Land

I would imagine in SD the interstates like much of Florida's interstates are pretty straight so I'm guessing here that the truck driver either dozed off a bit or who knows what. Unless it was on a curve and well you know.

In Florida there's a law that either you move over one lane or slow down to 20 mph below posted speed limit. So for example if FHP is on the shoulder with light flashing even if it's to help a stranded citizen then you move from the slow lane to the middle lane or stay in slow lane but, slow to 20 mph below posted speed limit. Most FHP fatalities are attributed to the very thing you mentioned.

Even with lots of announcment by radio and local tv before it was enacted it took a while for folks get with the program but, after enough tickets and a couple of years I now see folks moving over most of the time as I travel about 40 miles roundtrip on I-95 each day. You really can't appreciate how fast 55 let alone 70 mph is unless you've been on the shoulder like changing a flat and a semi goes by or even a car...Man it's fast. It ought to be a required field trip exercise for all new licenses but then again safety would be an issue so probably not a good idea.

Hopefully your 2003 incident was w/o injury. Take care and be careful out there.

Unread 03-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

A long time ago, truck drivers were the best, most conscientious drivers on the road, but that changed over the years. There are still a lot of skilled professional drivers, but there are also way too many that are not. I drove heavy oilfield trucks, mostly 18 wheelers, for 2 years in N E Texas. A lot of them were permit loads. To me all of them were deadly weapons, and I did not want to be involved in hurting or killing people, even when they did really dumb stuff. To this day, when I have to pull over on to the shoulder for any reason, I constantly look back at oncoming traffic. Depending on where it is, anybody riding with me has to get out of the vehicle and watch too. Rubberneckers and cell phone users are a serious threat, particularly to cops, but probably sleeping drivers and drunks are still the worst.

I apologize for getting preachy, but 3 years ago we had a young State Trooper killed at a stop 10 miles from my home. Nobody is better trained than they are, but it happened anyway.

Roaddog, don't let anything happen to you. Zeus would miss you for sure.

Shiny side up, rubber side down. Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Unread 03-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Silver Member

We have the same "Move over" law here. There were a lot of emergency vehicles on scene and anyone with half a brain would have slowed down long before coming to the incident area. You just want to creep through those as slow as possible.

I didn't get injured in my 2003 incident but I had a state trooper riding shotgun in my patrol car. He got a relatively minor laceration on one of his legs from bouncing around inside and coming into contact a sharp corner of an equipment mount.

The insurance company wanted to meet with me right away and nail down a statement. I met with them and we talked for a while before I realized that it was the insurance company for the truck driver. He was kind of pretending to be for the county. I guess they thought I would sue them or something. The driver got a ticket but I didn't sue.

I have to work tonight and Wednesday Night at the Range is on the Outdoor Channel. I'm glad I have a DVR! I usually come home in the middle of the night and play it back. I fall asleep in my recliner. (A little slice of heaven)
Unread 03-11-2010, 05:37 AM
Platinum Member

+1 w/Specweldtom. A long time ago, truck drivers were the best, most conscientious drivers on the road, but that changed over the years.

Used to be that way with just regular drivers but now forget it. I've been rear ended by a drunk that fell asleep...had a funny ending but I got to go to work so I'll share later...good for a laugh.
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:54 AM

Hey roaddog1m, whats going on?!!! I'm looking forward to your next post, things seem to have gone quiet here, have I missed somthing?
waiting....waiting.....!!!
Unread 03-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

You haven't missed anything but, some of us are getting worried. Hope nothings happened.
Unread 03-18-2010, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
You haven't missed anything but, some of us are getting worried. Hope nothings happened.
+1 chas
I sent him a P.M. and no response yet. Hopefully he's just takin care of bad guys, and feeding his maligator, and is too tired to post a reply.
I dont know, but theres a few of us that are a little anxious to see if he's ok.

Roaddog, COME HOME!

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"