Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Humor

Trust Land

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Trust Land

Boy you just cant get away from indian country can you? I dont think there was much loggin goin on when (George?) McCleland made his saddle tho. The Shashoni were slaughterin pilgrams all the way to ''Fort Dalles'' for stompin on thier territory. Ive had relitaves in Oregon since the ''45' Train'', one of em even tried to hang Joe or Steve Meek, for leading thier wagin train into ''Lake County(now-a-days)'', A desert cause there was, and is, NO water.
McCleland, was here in Oregon with Grant and a bunch of others before they became famous and of higher rank, under Gen George Crook keeping the Shashoni at bay till the war between the states. Even then the Union Army was still split between the war and Oregon Territory, as its citizens needed the Army for protection. But Oregon was ''Copperhead'' country, and the Union Army wouldnt dare even ride within 20 miles of places like John Day, on account of Strong Southern sympathisers that were real good shots. (Dixie Mt isnt too far from there). Gettin long winded, sorry. Just wondered. Please continue.............

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

Well, I didn't think I was related to him. I didn't know he spent time in that area of the world. I know some of my relatives came across with the Mormons. Kind of funny but I think it was the same bunch as J M Browning came across with. Now that you bring it up, I should probably check into those things.

One more day off then back to the grind for Daddy! Me and the pack of dogs are watching a little TV and relaxing. I think I adopted a new puppy the other day. Got a call that a dog was biting at children at one of the local grade schools. I get there and it's a German Shepherd puppy about 12wks old I guessing. I was trying (not very hard) to find the owner and couldn't. I tried (not very hard) to find someone who would adopt him but no luck there either. I named him Brutus and potty trained him. It took about two minutes and he was taught to sit on the first command. Smart little bugger but has needle teeth and I'm shredded to pieces. He bites like a snapping turtle and sometimes latches onto a finger or toe when I'm not expecting it. He looks like he'd make a good bomb dog. Very alert and courageous. Uses his nose to find things already and loves playing and learns fast. The kind of dog I've seen departments pay $4 or $5K for as a green dog.
That's another thing about being on the "rez". Dogs wondering all over the place. I frequently see small dog packs roaming around getting into trouble. I've rescued two puppies in just the last thirty days. Gave an Australian Shepherd away to someone back east and I still have this one. I think I have a problem.

Last edited by roaddog1m; 03-04-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Winmag, what is meant by "since the ''45' Train''? Souds like it denote an era or something.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

roaddog1m, I don't think you got a problem. I think you just like dogs...who doesn't. Do you live alone? if not how does your significant other feel about the dogs?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Chas1, the ''45' train'' was the ''Lost wagon train of 1845''. they wound up in present day ''Lake County'' woth no water, in an Alkali Flat. They had one of the Meek brothers as a ''party leader'' because he'd been thru that part of Oregon once before on a trapping expidetion. As fate would have it, the 1 time he went thru that country it had water. Its part of Oregons high desert, so water is scarse exept for the occasional wet year. Absolutly beautiful country, but with angry Shashone and 0 water, it was NOT a good place to be in 1845.
In Mr. Meeks defense, he rode thru HOSTILE territory(ever here of the ''DOG SOLDIERS'' they were Shashone) all the way to Fort Dalles and organised a rescue party, and returned to the wagon train. He escaped hanging by 3 wagon tongues strapped togather, and a rope, by a matter of minnutes, when warned of his impending doom, before he rode out for the fort. He was thought to be saving his own neck and escaping, but proved otherwise by returning with the Soldiers from the fort, and keeping his honor as an upstanding person of great fortitude. Some folks are still of the other opinion of him even today. Altho Im sure my relitaves harbored a grudge, Im sure they were happy to see he had the courage to return.(they still promptly parted ways, but MY hat's off to Mr. Meek and his parilous ride, He could have just left them there, If caught by the Shashone, theyd have lifted his hair while still alive, then tortured him for days and the pilgrams(not Mormans, just settelers) were about to hang him. Some even wanted to hang him on his return, but the Army stopped it. IMO he had sand, not everyone would have, or could have, done what he did.)P.S. Im not related to Meek, my relitaves were one of the 3 wagons who had the tongues strapped together. My how times have changed huh.......

Roaddog, I wont hi-jack your post any longer............and nice pup! please continue.......................

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 03-05-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

''Lost wagon train of 1845''...Thanks for taking the time to write that up and sharing some history. Interesting.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Silver Member

Wow!!! I'm impressed Winmag. You have quit a bit of knowledge of the events back in that time. Did you study just that event or are you a history buff in general. I'm fascinated with the old west.

Chas1, No, I live alone (pack of dogs only). I have a girlfriend who is also a road deputy but for Minnehaha County. She lives several hours away from me.

Don't know what to do with "Brutus". I'd like to keep him but was kind of wanting another Mal if I got another dog. Sako (my old hunting partner) is not long for this world. Zeus is still in his prime but I would like to start a bomb dog. There is only one bomb dog in the entire state of SD. It belongs to a state trooper out of Pierre so you know the chances of getting a sweep from that dog. I would like to have the experience of a bomb dog in case I decide to slip on over to the dark side. LoL Too much money to be made in various third world hell holes. I'm getting old and my chances of ever escaping Indian County alive and making some real money are diminishing with each passing donut. A dope dog and a bomb dog on my resume would get me a job pretty quickly. I don't mind the heat, I've been there twice already. I must not mind getting shot at and hit my cars, so the only thing left to consider is my elderly parents. I had an offer six months ago and passed it up. I'll probably regret that forever.

Tom