New view on horses. A shoers perspective.
I have always maintained horses are a lot like children. As I was shoeing this silly !@#$ of a horse today it dawned on me this view is not correct.
I realized horses are in fact very much like women. Before you deny this let me offer my evidence.
1. They all think you are after them.
2. They are all offended if you aren't after them.
3. They all like to run off, make sure you're following, let you get close, and run off again.
4. Regardless of wether or not they'll let you pet them, they get jealous as all get out when you pet another.
5. Some make a nice smooth ride. Some are too flighty. Some are too slow. Some are too fat. Some are too sweaty.
6. No matter how many you ride, you always come back to your favorite.
7. Nobody wants just one.
8. They are forever, nibbling on your neck, sniffing at your pockets, and you never know when you might get bit on the ass.
Now don't forget I'm a farrier.
9. I would much prefer to be on top. But, I spend half my life underneath. Some I never get to ride at all.
10. They get fat in the winter. They shed hair all over everything.
11. They are frisky and bright eyed one minute, and snapping at you another.
12. Some stand quietly when you tie them up, some you have to throw down.
13. They need way too many shoes.
14. They weigh way too much to carry around.
15. A little proper handling goes a long ways.
16. Now and then they really just need to be kicked.
and just to throw some sweet !@#$ in the mix:
A really superb one comes along only once in a lifetime, and is worth dying for.