Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Humor

Importance of Shooter-Spotter Communication.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Importance of Shooter-Spotter Communication.

[ QUOTE ]
looked at mine and it shows R<----- which is counter clockwise

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently all scope move up by being twisted counter clockwise.

I have quit laughing long enough to perhaps explain the right hand rule.

Take you right hand and curl your two smallest fingers around your elevation dial so you can twist it counterclockwise. Bend your other two fingers so they match the two that are grasping the dial which is now nestled in the palm of your hand. Rather than laying your thumb down on your top finger so it looks like a fist, instead extend the thumb up at a ninety degree angle. As you twist the dial counter clockwise that will be the direction your fingers are pointing and the elevation will go the way your thumb is pointing (up).

The reverse is true if you do the reverse.

Now take your right hand and turn it so the thumb is pointing down and grasp the knob and twist it the way your fingers are point. This then moves the bullet strike down.

If you are happy with "righty tighty and lefty loosey" then it is just as well. What ever is fast and works.

The thing to me was I had never had the simple idea penetrate my brain that all scopes worked the same and each and every time I made an adjustment I would peer at the arrow to see which way to turn it. When you are prone and our age it is a real pain in the butt to try to see the top of the dial to find the arrow so your can dial in your clicks.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Gee. I learned "that" right hand rule in Electronic's Tech school in the very early '60. Was refreshed on it in Navy IC school in the later early '60s. Was refreshed again a little later in the early mid 60s in Navy Nuke school.

I had no reason to link it to scopes [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I'll stick to righty-tighty Lefty Loosley. Learned it from a neighbor (Blond) who use it to remember how the sticky lid came off of her finger nail polish. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Now I just think "Stephanie" when I get confused. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I otta team up with Monte (and in this corner we have......)
Old 06-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Silver Member

BuffaloBob,
After >20yrs in the military and lots of experience busting my knuckles using wrenches, I have never heard of the right hand rule!!! After your explanation it is very clear FOR ME how it works. It's a great little trick for figuring out how the move a threaded item (nut/bolt/lid/etc).

Roy, I have known a few Stephanies and thinking about some of them would confuse (read distract) me. My experience has always been very good with people with that name. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]

Apparently all scope move up by being twisted counter clockwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite all. I think some of the early Leupold M3 scopes turned clockwise (mainly because I see it specifically noted when I see them posted for sale) instead of CCW. Why, I don't know.

Roy,

If it makes you feel any better, they were still teaching the 'right hand rule' in nuke school in the early 90's [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] We had some... colorful substitutions for the letters to 'aid' memory [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . I don't know how they teach that stuff any more in the 'politically correct' Navy!

Monte