Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Humor

How to drink water

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

How to drink water

There is a large population of German descendants all around Frdericksburg, Texas. A farmer saw a man getting a drink of water out of his stock tank (pond) with his hand. He shouted to the man: Trink das wasser nicht! Die kuhen haben dahin gesheissen! Translates (I hope), don't drink that water, the cows have **** in it!

The man shouted back, I'm from Chicago, and I'm down here campaigning for Obama's health care plan. Speak English! The farmer, then said in perfect English; Use both hands, you can get more water.

Fredericksburg is a great town!

It's also Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz's home town. Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: How to drink water

Loved it. Thanks for posting

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 AM
Silver Member

Waaaaaaahahahahaha!
Old 04-21-2010, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

LL!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

Roaddog, glad I smoked you out. Been wondering how things are going for you (and Zeus). This is a good place to catch us up. All your readers watch this forum.

Saw a news report on Fox couple of days ago where a woman adopted a retired drug dog and was offering private searches to individuals and companies. Doing well too. The Fox guy shocked me by asking if her dog was a Malinois. Sure enough, he is!

+1 for Fox!

Tom

Last edited by specweldtom; 04-21-2010 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-23-2010, 03:59 AM
Silver Member

I'm doing pretty good actually. I've been pretty consumed lately with fishing, hunting mushrooms, shooting prairie puppies, getting ready for a match on the 1st and just generally loosening primer pockets. When the weather warms up, I stay pretty busy with all the things that need ventilated around the area.
I recently made a new friend who just happens to own a large ranch, complete with p-dogs and antygoats! It also borders the Moreau River where there is a bit of catfishing and stuff like that. He also had a 1000yd range on his place. Were trying to get a mile target set up. We have the room but my only long range rifle is a .308 and I run out of vertical adjustment at about 1400yds. I think I have it figured out though. 49.75moa + 20 mils holdover. (second mildot) It's supposed to rain this weekend but after that I'll find out how close my calculations are. I'm shooting a 155Palma Match @ 2800. Maybe someone out there can lend some advice or tell me if I'm on the right track.

How you been doing?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

I used to shoot .308 match rifle and M1-A service rifle. The .308's are good at 1000 yds in the hands of shooters who can really dope wind. An example: a 10 mph 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock crosswind would deflect the LC 173gr Match bullet 6 feet at 1000Yds. If you couldn't read wind and correct for it, you either couldn't print on your own target at all, or you unintentionally hit the target on either side of yours. I shot the Any Rifle - Any Sight matches at 600 and 1000 with a homebuilt 7mm Rem Mag (168gr Matchkings) and a homebuilt .300 Win Mag (200gr Win full patch bullets). Average come-up from a 600 yd zero to 1000 yds with the .308 match round was 24 minutes. My come-up with the 7 Rem was 11 minutes. That flatter trajectory (higher velocity with high B/C bullets) also gave me a big advantage on wind bucking. I didn't have to be near as good with the 7 or the .300 to get on and shoot good scores.

The moral of this novel is that the .308 just gives away too much at 1000 yds, let alone a mile. I don't have the exterior ballistics handy, but I think that not far past 1000 yds, the .308 is going to go transonic and unstable. You're going to need a lot of rifle for 1760 yds. I would go with a boomer .338, like the Wby .338 x .378, the .338 Rum or Edge, the .338 Lapua, or the .338 Excalibur. A .50 Browning rifle would be great, but they are expensive, very large and heavy and not really a shoulder fired arm. The .408's and .416's are mostly proprietary (EVERYTHING is expensive) and also not very versatile. The .308 will reach a mile, but I predict that you will be lucky if you can find where it hits the ground, let alone a target. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

The ranch deal sounds great....Enjoy.

You didn't say how Zeus is doing.

As for me, other than getting long-winded, I'm doing pretty good, for a crippled old fat man.

Tom