Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

Rabbits with Dogs???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

Re: Rabbits with Dogs???

[ QUOTE ]

I'd go with the beagle idea. Been there done that and got a lot of rabbits. The bark of the dog lets you know where the rabbit isn't and where it is/was headed.

Great fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, beagles are very good at that. My neighbor has a couple of them, amazing dogs. And they donīt push the rabbit too fast either. - I have a Finnish Hound for the same purpose (hare) and the pace is quite a lot faster. He also chases fox the same way.

Great fun indeed.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:51 AM
Bronze Member

My lab/boxer mix will retrieve rabbits that she manages to catch.

The rabbits are learning that the "hold still and pray" doesn't work, no matter how thick the brush. If they want to live, they need to run for the fence.

Other than that, she'll bring em back, still kicking and screaming. Throw it on the ground at your feet, and step on it so it won't run. If they struggle, she'll beat it with her paws till its motionless.

Actually, its quite an awesome spectical. If you don't take it from her right then, she picks it up and trots off to consume. Almost like she's giving me first dibs.

Dad has a Jack Russell. It will chase a rat/rabbit/etc until armegeddon if necessary. It doesn't retrieve. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Go with the beagle if your looking for a hunting hound. I've had a few and always enjoyed it. My best was a beagle/dachsund mix (low riding rabbit dog)
Old 06-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Next time think about a Springer Spaniel. They are a great flushing dog and a good pet. They will retrieve and track a wounded bird. They like really thick brush with lots of burs. Great pheasant dog. Of course to a Springer, a field mouse is just as much fun as a rabbit.

Once you get get them home from hunting it takes hours to get the burs out of the hair around their ears
Old 06-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Silver Member

Well got my scent from cabela's today and we have a delay....my dog has lost a few of his teeth latley and with the excitment of the scent on the hard canvas he tore out about 3 more on the first try......I think I might need to wait before I get him on it again [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Joe Oakes
Old 11-28-2011, 02:59 AM
Silver Member

I had an English Springer Spaniel when I was young that was a good rabbit dog. When a rabbit was jumped, just sit down and get ready as the dog would chase it back around to me.

He was also a good upland bird flusher. Springers are the best pheasant dogs.

He would catch bullfrogs for bait at the river edge when taking him pike fishing.

They are also good retrievers, Springers are a very versatile breed of hunting dog, very fast, can jump very high, over fences.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:47 AM

if you want to chase rabbits get a bassethound lots of fun. way better looking and alot smarter. imo
Old 12-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Get a greyhound or whippet! When I was stationed in England, I saw some retired/rescued greyhounds trained to hunt rabbit and they were awesome ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.