Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

Rabbits with Dogs???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Silver Member

Rabbits with Dogs???

I have a Jack Russell and Corgy mixed mut but I want to get him to retrieve grouse and rabbits. I hope to train him to flush the rabbits and give a good chase. And maybe even flush grouse??

Has anyone played with little dogs and hunting?

Joe Oakes
Old 06-07-2007, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Rabbits with Dogs???

I don't know what a corgy is, but I have a Jack Russel. I can't get him to retrieve a ball let alone a piece of meat.

Jacks were used mostly for fox hunting I think. Mine likes to dig up anything that hides in the ground, then kill it.
He has a passing interest in trying to catch birds. It's not pointing it's spot rush and grab.

You might get a jack to run rabbits, but if it runs in a hole all your going to see is a dogs ass and dirt. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

I have a male and female Jack both are awsome attack and catch dogs , my male regularly catches and kills cats , coons , opposums , and about anything else that will run. but I think that they both would run a rabbit way to fast , and as soon as either one of mine see what they are wanting to get they are after it W.F.O.

I think that a beagle would make a better point and push dog , but if the animal is smart then you should be able to train it somewhat
Old 06-07-2007, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

JRs were made for killing rats and stuff. Corgies are designed for healing cattle to keep them moving. They are so short that that a cow kicks over them and they just keep dogging along.

I don't think either one of them has an ounce of retrieve instinct.

I'd go with the beagle idea. Been there done that and got a lot of rabbits. The bark of the dog lets you know where the rabbit isn't and where it is/was headed.

Great fun.

If you want a great grouse dog and nice house dog look up Chip's Kennels in western PA.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:31 PM
SPONSOR

[ QUOTE ]
Mine likes to dig up anything that hides in the ground, then kill it.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You might get a jack to run rabbits, but if it runs in a hole all your going to see is a dogs ass and dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep and yep!! I tried to teach mine to find and chase rabbits. He'd find the rabbit hide everytime around the house, but when I took him rabbit hunting I realized that what I really had was an armadillo dog!! To this day, all that he wants to do is chase armadillos.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 PM

Armadillo's are stupid beasts. More than once we've come up on them digging while we were dove hunting and given them a kick in the butt. I was watching 'Barbarossa' the other day and ol' Willie kept wanting to eat the critters.
When I went to Texas for a few years in the 80's as soon as I got there the locals started telling me about them like they were a novelty and I should be impressed.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Possum on the half shell [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]