Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

Old School Squirrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2009, 10:38 PM

Re: Old School Squirrels

Nice job. I rather hunt squirrels than deer, though deer fill the freezer faster! That caplock looks like a ball. I use a .218 Bee, 25 and .32-20 and some bigger.30's, all loaded down and shooting cast bullets. It's a rare occasion to be able to get a chance at that many squirrels in a day. I envy you!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Bronze Member

i loved taking out my caplock .56 smooth bore for tree rats.

i gave the smoothbore to my buddy though so now i'm back to my .410 (.22 is not allowed for squirrel in MA)

nothing like going old school on a squirrel hunt. nice job man. i wish the rats around here was half as big as that
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Bronze Member

Nice job and cool pix. We have the fox squirrels here but there are more grays. Seems like every fox squirrel I shoot needs to spend time in the pressure cooker just b4 becoming soup. Grays are usually tenderer.

I shot one when I was a youth about 14 while I was out with my younger brother. He was tough as a groundhog. AN OLD ONE! we had to wrap my brother around a 6" sapling when we were trying to skin it 'cause I was dragging him around with it. And then I still had to put a foot against the tree to get enough leverage to pull the hide off. Still wish I had video of THAT.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 PM
Silver Member

Great pictures I am guessing to kept them on the hoof just for the sake of taking the pictures, but cleaning them is much quicker if it's done as soon as they hit the ground.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:40 AM
Silver Member

Have a place I shot squirrels on that was about 2 miles of heavily wooded creek bottom that was full of Walnut trees and where the tree's quit it was cornfields. Nothing to see 3 lb Red's. We had a rule. Head shots only. Used a self built .32 Percussion Kentucky Poor Boy that was one of the most accurate ML Rifles I have ever shot. Cost of building the rifle myself was around $200. Look on my buddies face when I made a 50 yard head shot on a big red sitting on a walnut tree branch eating a nut, PRICELESS.
Ended up moving away from the area and haven't gone down to shoot squirrels for about 10 years and now you have my mouth watering. We had a old log cabin on the place as it was an old family homestead and every fall a couple of us would get together and shoot squirrels on the weekend. Sunday night all the family's would get together and we had a old propane tank that was cut in half. Load it up with wood on Sunday afternoon and burn it down to nothing but hot coals. Put the grate on it and then we had three big deep fry pans about 4"s deep. Fill them about half full of peanut oil then cut up a couple dozen Reds and roll them in flower and cornmeal seasoned and fry them till they float. You would have grease dripping from your chin and a smile a mile wide eating that. Took a beer or two to do the cooking but man what a supper. Dam guy you just about got me in tears missing those days.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks all for the comments. That is me who started this post. I was a member here since back in '06 but have been off for a long time and couldn't remember my log in info an just created a new account a few days back.

Here's what I was running this winter on tree rats. I LOVE squirrel hunting (grin) I've still got the same 'heeler and he's 11 now so I don't know how many more seasons he has left.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Can you say supersize my tree rats. Great shooting with the smoke poles.