Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

New Best Friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 09:59 AM

Re: New Best Friend

Thanks I wish his squirrel hunting ability was going as fast as his growth but if it was to easy it wouldent be as much fun lol my son has 6 or 7 beagles runs them all on rabbits.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Lol well now that we have about ten inches of snow jasper doesn't care about squirrel hunting as much as he did with one or two. He has a little trouble getting around.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:48 AM

Squirrel season ends in a couple weeks I hope to get out there at least a few more times. How was everyones season this year? Mine was great working with the dog. He is shaping up concidering I dident expect him to. Have any interest.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:48 PM
Gold Member

I haven't been at all this season. I have been deer hunting and just target shooting. My beagle has been escaping the yard so there's no way I can trust her out in the open wilderness. Have shot any small game off your basset? Got any more photos of the big guy?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Just a few squirrels so far no other pictures at this time but I'm working on it. I dident deer hunt this year but I spent a lot of time with jasper chasing squirrels come Jan. 1 I hope to hunt rabbits with my son and his beagles.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:14 PM

Merry Christmas every one
Old 01-01-2014, 08:56 PM

Thinks I may try working our little mini dachshund, Kipper, on squirrels. He hangs out at the bay window peaking over the sill to spot those furry tailed tree rats. Once he sees one he dashes for the backdoor!

He really gets after 'em out back. Very good at keeping the spotted in the trees and working his way around the base of that tree. Nice thing about those short little legs, he doesn't cover ground the way my sighthounds do. Easier to keep close.

Deer season ended at twilight New Years Day. Things will slow down out at the hunt club until turkey season begins in March. Means we will have the woods pretty much to ourselves.

Good luck with Jasper. We rarely have to worry about snow interfering with hunting plans; a couple of inches of rain a day maybe, but not snow.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
New Best Friend-kipper-overwatch.png  

Last edited by jamurden1; 01-01-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Forgot photo.