Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

New Best Friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 AM

New Best Friend

got this little guy last sunday hes 8 weeks old. his name is jasper im not sure if i want to train him on rabbits or squirrel yet. i have a ten month old beagle thats just starting to run rabbits. bassets are alot slower so they probably wont make the best team to work togeather
Attached Images

Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Re: New Best Friend

well jasper and i took alittle walk through a great field with stonewalls had a good time in the summer sun. my main reason for going is the shooting range just a little further down the road gun shots dident faze him at all.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:22 PM

As far as the shorter bassets go, my one grandfather used to like and use only short beagles because they didn't run as fast or run the rabbits into the next parrish. I don't think he liked to track down the dogs at the end of the hunt. Squirrel dogs, on the other hand, he had a very large and fluffy collie mix to use as the tree dog. He used smaller feists to keep them treed. Once the big dog got to moving, he was GONE.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:41 PM

I have taken him squirrel hunting quit a few times this year. He really isn't hunting but I haven't lost a squirrel due to thick leave cover he comes up with them every time not always happy to give them up to me though. I keep hoping he will start tracking them on his own sooner or later he will get a sight run. Many that will make the light come on
Old 11-19-2013, 01:42 PM

Another great day in the woods today but he still not giving chase.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:49 AM

Happy thanksgiving to all godbless
Old 12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Gold Member

Good looking puppy there. I know this was 5 months ago from that photo so I am sure is he a big guy now. I have a beagle. I love her to much to let her run rabbits. I am afraid she'll take off and never come back. She definitely has the drive and speed though. At my local dog park she runs them out fenced in area and works the perimeter. Its really interesting and fun to watch. I used my buddies fiest one season for squirrel and we shot right around 180 for the season!! We would get our 12 squirrel limit everytime we went out!! I think squirrel hunting is the most difficult to train a dog on since they have to find the freshest sent amongst hundreds dense hardwoods. They also have to wait patiently at the bottom so they do not run the squirrel off. Good luck with your battle buddy hopefully he'll pick it up soon.