Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

Kansas 2012 Squirrel Opener

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 AM
Bronze Member

Kansas 2012 Squirrel Opener

Anyone else planning on getting out to shoot some squirrels tomorrow? This will be my first dedicated squirrel hunt in years and it looks like weather will cooperate. Going to be mid-40s to start the morning.

Sighted in the Ruger 10/22 this week and I'm ready to check out our Hardwood draws since most are filled with oak, hickory and walnut trees. Just fox squirrels in my part of Kansas as grays are just east of here. Looking forward to fried squirrel and biscuits/gravy this weekend.

I can't believe I've ignored small game hunting so long (wrapped up in whitetail, hogs and coyotes and ignored my hunting roots).

Any interesting recipes would be appreciated.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Kansas 2012 Squirrel Opener

Update: Ok, just returned from a couple hours of squirrel hunting and walking in the woods. I did not shoot as well as I should, but still ended up with 3 Fox Squirrels and a bonus juvenile coyote. Was using Ruger 10/22 with Win LR ammo. Only reason I took coyote with the 22lr was 25 yard broadside head shot. Dropped him on impact. All and all a good start to the squirrel season! Squirrels everywhere in oak stands.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

Looks like it was a nice morning. Congrats! I'm taking my grandson in Va. next weekend.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Last time I hunted squirrels in KS this time of year, I spent almost as much time hunting for ticks after I got home! I don't remember how many squirrels I got, but I remember I had a good time with friends.

Nick
Old 06-15-2012, 09:29 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndericks View Post
Last time I hunted squirrels in KS this time of year, I spent almost as much time hunting for ticks after I got home! I don't remember how many squirrels I got, but I remember I had a good time with friends.

Nick
Luckily I had a wooded draw with a dirt road through it and hunted from our private road so only got two ticks. Going to have our first annual Tallgrass Lodge Guide Squrrel hunt/competition. 5 rounds per person, 5 squirrel limit. Head shot kill gains fifty cents, miss and body shots cost one dollar each. Should be an interesting Saturday morning at the lodge.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Bronze Member

My results from the First Annual Tallgrass Lodge Squirrel Shoot/Competition...I got half the kills this morning and much of the $s! Good times.

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Kansas 2012 Squirrel Opener-1st-annual-tg-comp.jpg  
Old 06-30-2012, 01:28 AM
Bronze Member

Congrats - that looks like such fun. I miss hunting those big ol fox squirrels. They are pretty hard to find here in CO except in town where they are safe from hunters unless one has a very stealthy air gun with a holographic sight... And you can't beat that for improving your shooting skills and having fun at the same time.
I brined some squirrel a few months ago for 24 hrs, and then cooked them on the grill with a rub, then glazed with bbq sauce at end. They were tender, juicy, and finger licking good!