Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 PM

Re: How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

I walk and sit,have tried calls but have never had any luck with them.This year has been strictly handguns for me so it has cut down on the killing side but the fun has went way up.I can honestly say its strictly handguns for bushytails from here on out.The handguns I use are a S&W 22A with reddot,Ruger 2245 with reddot,and a colt NF buntline.Squirrels are my favorite thing to hunt.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

I don't care much for squirrel hunting. My dog is the squirrel killer. He usually kills them in the city park where you aren't supposed to kill squirrels, so the squirrels think they are safe. He is said to be descended from dogs owned by members of the James-Younger Gang, so he doesn't care for city laws. But he prefers to take down young mule deer.

Anyway, my youngest brother was the squirrel hunter in the family. I mainly went after game birds, as that is what I preferred to eat. He sold squirrel tails to Mepps, the fishing lure company, so if you fished Mepps lures, you might have your lure trimmed in the squirrel tail that he shot.

Anyway, he had two different squirrel dogs. The first one was a purebred English Pointer bitch. That dog was pure death on squirrels, but deathly afraid of water. She wouldn't cross a stream for anything. The second dog was a Border Terrier/Airedale Terrier mix. That dog wasn't afraid of anything. He would dive off a cliff into the water without a second thought. He killed a rattlesnake when he was a little pup. Pure death on all vermin.

He used two rifles. The main one was a Marlin .22LR semi-auto. It was cheap, but it was accurate. The other was a Crosman multi-pump air rifle. It was also cheap, but accurate.

He had two main ways of hunting. The first way was with the dog on land. The dog would tree a squirrel and he would get down against a tree and get ready for a shot as the dog caused the squirrel to move around the tree to where he had a clear shot. The English Pointer especially had keen eyes and would spot squirrels long before he could. That dog died and he hunted a while by himself, usually propped up against a tree where squirrel activity was high. Then the other dog showed up, and he started hunting in a canoe as he drifted quietly down Horsehead Creek. When he saw a squirrel, he would shoot it from the canoe and the Border/Airedale Terrier mixed breed would jump in the water and go retrieve the squirrel. That dog got redneck run over and killed eventually, and since he and the dog had mostly wiped out the Horsehead Creek squirrel population, he quit hunting squirrels.

I killed a rabbit in the backyard a few months back, but I can't remember when I last killed a squirrel. I remember killing a squirrel in 1977 as my dog scared it from tree to tree, and I shot it with a Ruger .22LR pistol, but not sure if it was the last one.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 PM

Be in the woods by about 8 AM. As the sun starts warming up, the little fuzzytails venture out. I just enjoy the scenery and my 10-22 does the rest.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

I really Prefer the Praire Dogs to Squirrels. Now a prarie dog is easy as they stand still. But them squirrels will get you good with that trusty old .22. I love wandering the woods with my HighStandard .22 Match Pistol.. Fast Swinging and easy to hit them. Other than that I use my 10/22 or my Rem 870 Super Mag... 3 1/2 Shells left over from Goose season work well Also you dont have to aim as hard, use a good loose choke... pleanty of pellets to go around

Wonder if anyone would pay me to kill them here in Colorado?

Also anyone looking for Prarie Dog Extermination I have a new 338/378 and my trusty 270
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Silver Member

I open my basement window and shoot them out of the trees in my backyard with Aguila Super Colibri ammo. I usually spot them running along the fence or in the trees. They seem most active in the morning, early afternoon, and a little before dusk. The ammo I use is quieter than most adult air rifles, so none of my neighbors will get their panties all twisted.

As a bonus, there is a cat that lives a few houses over, and when he hears the little snap from my .22, he comes over and grabs the squirrels. I have no idea what he does with them, but as long as they aren't in my yard, I'm good with that.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Bronze Member

What time of the day works best for you?
I hunt when the squirrels are out, whatever time it may be. If I see a squirrel, I go hunting.

Do you sit or do you walk?
Both. I will sit in a spot for a while and then move if nothing is around.

What shooting position is most common for you?
Standing

Do you ever use a call?
Yes, I do use a call. I just bought my wife a Samsung galaxy 5 player for her birthday so now I have all the calls I want in my hand. The one call I ALWAYS wanted was the sucking sound they make. I could never find it, but now with the samsung, I have a recording!!! It works great.

How much difference does weather make? It depends on the day. Sometimes they will be out in wind/rain and sometimes they won't. If it feels nice out, they are most likely out.

If you see 5 squirrels on an outing, how many come home with you?

Does your squirrel gun look as cool as mine?
I don't know and really don't care. Mine works well for me and the squirrels have to stay very far away to have any hope of staying safe. My longest kill remains at 190 yards.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Backus View Post
I am watching the weather, planning to go out later this week. Meanwhile...how about a discussion?
  1. What time of the day works best for you?
  2. Do you sit or do you walk?
  3. What shooting position is most common for you?
  4. Do you ever use a call?
  5. How much difference does weather make?
  6. If you see 5 squirrels on an outing, how many come home with you?
  7. Does your squirrel gun look as cool as mine?
Well Len ,
My best time for squirrels is morning, when it starts to get day light, to be in place.

I usually sit for for 15 or 20 min , then move and sit again.

I shoot from any position, sitting , standing, left or right handed....

Do you ever use a call?
I do use a call at times to bring one closer.

weather ? not too concerned about weather when I want to go hunting.

If you see 5 squirrels on an outing, how many come home with you? five

Does your squirrel gun look as cool as mine? It doesn't matter what it looks like, only that it can shoot when the time comes. LOL