Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

Well Rairoader82 , I would love see somebody shoot like that. I talked to an ole boy that told about two brothers he went squirrel hunting with once. He said they used 22 rifles , and point shot every squirrel. He said it was quite amazing to see. I wondered just how many shots they had to take to get that good.
    Unread 06-09-2013, 04:22 PM
    Silver Member

I'm not as good as Dad. I once saw him shoot an ol' gray squirrel running up a tree with an open sighted 22. I must've been about ten! I remember it like yesterday (31 now). Unfortunately I don't have the time I once had to shoot. I miss the simplicity of shooting close range with an open sighted 22. I love killin squirrels when they're in them hickories! Tons of fun! I like using a shotgun too.

Unread 06-10-2013, 10:14 AM
    Silver Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Railroader82 View Post
    I'm not as good as Dad. I once saw him shoot an ol' gray squirrel running up a tree with an open sighted 22. I must've been about ten! I remember it like yesterday (31 now). Unfortunately I don't have the time I once had to shoot. I miss the simplicity of shooting close range with an open sighted 22. I love killin squirrels when they're in them hickories! Tons of fun! I like using a shotgun too.
    Yup back in the old days my Dad could shoot too. I saw him nail a woodchuck at 200 yards that was running for its hole. Open sights , a standing shot. I guess he had a lot of practice with an M-1 in 43 and 44 to shoot like that. LOL He never let me get a 22 , so I used a shotgun and we raised beagles and trained them for rabbit hunting. He liked a 410 and always shot from the hip.
    Unread 06-10-2013, 05:45 PM
    Silver Member

HunterBob, sounds like your Dad is your role model hunter too! Awesome! I bet that woodchuck never seen that one coming! The other woodchucks probably packed up and moved after that incident!
    Unread 01-16-2017, 08:45 PM

I like Butcher, prefer to hunt them with air rifles, especially the airforce like of guns, of which i have a closet full. i stalk or sit, depending on conditions