Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

Re: How Do You Hunt Squirrels?

Well Rairoader82 , I would love see somebody shoot like that. I talked to an ole boy that told about two brothers he went squirrel hunting with once. He said they used 22 rifles , and point shot every squirrel. He said it was quite amazing to see. I wondered just how many shots they had to take to get that good.

"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst Of Evils." ~ General Stark

Unread 06-09-2013, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

I'm not as good as Dad. I once saw him shoot an ol' gray squirrel running up a tree with an open sighted 22. I must've been about ten! I remember it like yesterday (31 now). Unfortunately I don't have the time I once had to shoot. I miss the simplicity of shooting close range with an open sighted 22. I love killin squirrels when they're in them hickories! Tons of fun! I like using a shotgun too.
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroader82 View Post
I'm not as good as Dad. I once saw him shoot an ol' gray squirrel running up a tree with an open sighted 22. I must've been about ten! I remember it like yesterday (31 now). Unfortunately I don't have the time I once had to shoot. I miss the simplicity of shooting close range with an open sighted 22. I love killin squirrels when they're in them hickories! Tons of fun! I like using a shotgun too.
Yup back in the old days my Dad could shoot too. I saw him nail a woodchuck at 200 yards that was running for its hole. Open sights , a standing shot. I guess he had a lot of practice with an M-1 in 43 and 44 to shoot like that. LOL He never let me get a 22 , so I used a shotgun and we raised beagles and trained them for rabbit hunting. He liked a 410 and always shot from the hip.

Unread 06-10-2013, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

HunterBob, sounds like your Dad is your role model hunter too! Awesome! I bet that woodchuck never seen that one coming! The other woodchucks probably packed up and moved after that incident!
Unread 01-16-2017, 08:45 PM

I like Butcher, prefer to hunt them with air rifles, especially the airforce like of guns, of which i have a closet full. i stalk or sit, depending on conditions
Unread 01-17-2017, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz1874 View Post
I like Butcher, prefer to hunt them with air rifles, especially the airforce like of guns, of which i have a closet full. i stalk or sit, depending on conditions
Oh yeah , that is fun... I have hunted like that a lot... just find a stump and sit ,,,after a few minutes they will come out... but I always use a shotgun

Unread 01-17-2017, 06:43 AM
Bronze Member

I'm sure glad I'm not the only one after the squirrels. I hunt with pistol and rifle only.

Stalk and sit is the only way to go unless someone comes up with a better plan.

I jumped on the .17 HMR bandwagon as soon at they hit the market after many years of .22 hunting. The HMR works great but is now a safe queen.

Then along came the .17 WSM and of course, I had to grab one. The WSM is the FINAL SOLUTION for squirrels. No crawl-off cripples, to say the least. Of course, head shots are a must, especially with the 20gr fodder I use. My rifle is a first generation Savage BMAG and is a great rifle.

I also ambush varmints while squirrel hunting, such as feral animals and coyotes. The WSM has proven very terminal and better than the HMR.

Last but not least, I also always carry my Browning BuckMark .22 for sneakers, the close squirrels that suddenly pop up too close for rifle scope focus.