Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

ETE MOOR CHIKIN Part 3c

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

ETE MOOR CHIKIN Part 3c

Do you ever get tired of eating antelope every night?
Ever fried up some antelope and then diced that up and added it to a pot of Ramen noodles and added a half can of mixed vegetables and called it “antelope soup”?
I am so tired of antelope!

It had rained for two days in Idaho and finally today was clear so I could work on getting camp set up properly. I dug a cathole, strung a clothesline, moved the fire ring and dug around it and made it respectable and then I cut firewood for a couple of hours (remembering to bring a chainsaw helped out a bunch), finally I dialed in Tigerstripes and got my hunting gear and back pack set up for elk which requires a number of changes from antelope. So there I was dead dog tired and it was the middle of the afternoon. I pondered what I would make for supper and somehow just could not face up to another plate of antelope, so it was off to the grocery store I went.

Ruffed grouse with whole kernel corn, rice and a nice red wine tasted ever so good in front of a roaring fire.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:37 PM
PUBLISHER

Living vicariously through BB!

I am so glad you are writing your story here on our site.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 10-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

I'm jealous, I have yet to kill a ruffed grouse, along with prairie chickens that's all I have left on the grouse list. How'd it taste? If it's anywhere near as good as blue grouse or ptarmigan, that's a meal fit for a king. It's a whole lot better if you get em' over a staunch point though ;)
Old 10-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Among other names we call Ruffed Grouse "fools hens" I also think Franklin grouse are named the same. They make great fodder for something like a 22 hand gun. They act nothing like a Penns Woods grouse.

They are super good eatin' just a slight bit below the Spruce Grouse and maybe the blue grouse, mostly just cause they are bigger.

Wait till you see ol' bb's campsite after Mr. Roy gets there. It'll be plumb decked out.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Re: ETE MOOR CHIKIN Part 3c

mmmm those chikens are sure good eats. We hve to have at least one good feed of them a year in our camp.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Gold Member

I once did a ten day back packing hunt where our main meal was rice (to fill us up) dried peas (for coloring) and soup (for flavouring). Eating antelope every meal would have been luxury!!
I did manage to shoot a chamois on day 3, we feasted until midnight on fried heart, liver and kidneys!
In NZ all the native birds you come across while hunting are protected so you cannot supplement the larder, unless you want to eat a possum ( not many people in NZ want to go there!).

Stu.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

BB, can't wait to read more of your story.............keep us posted!

That's my kind of grocery shoppin'