Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Small Game Hunting

Small Game Hunting Techniques For Rabbit, Squirrel, etc. Hunting

color phase squirrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: color phase squirrels

I' ve been in the northeast part of the Wash. DC. suburbs and almost every squirrel is black.The first one I saw I thought was a cat with no legs,it was big and had shiney fur.After a while the novelty wore off.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 PM

I have squirrel hunted quite often this year and I'm sorry to say I've seen way more red squirrels this year then grey. Other then practice there not worth much.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

in New jersey we have both species of squirrels,red in north part of the state, grays all over.i just returned from central Maine deer hunt and saw both reds &grays though seems reds prefer evergreens and grays like more of the hardwoods. I think I would like to hunt fox squirrels as they are the largest of all.Does anyone hunt them especially with a.22 cal.? Where? thanks
Old 11-13-2013, 01:47 PM

I have never hunted fox squirrels before r they much bigger then greys
Old 11-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Silver Member

Funny you mention this... I hunt in the Poconos in Pa near the Delaware River. As a kid, you'd see one or two black squirrels a year. This year, however, theyve BOOMED. I must have counted a dozen or two. While deer hunting a new area, i saw three in one sitting. At the same time, not the same squirrel running around. I think its time for some .17 caliber crowd control...
Old 02-07-2014, 11:14 PM
Bronze Member

I have seen and killed black squirrels in West Virginia. The camp where I squirrel hunt some years have several Black Phase Grey Squirrels in the area. When I worked in the mountains of the eastern part of the state there was and area that had Black Phase Fox Squirrels. My oldest son's first squirrel was a Black Phase Fox squirrel. I killed 2 more Black Phase Fox Squirrels in the area. One evening we watched 5 young Black Phase Fox Squirrels feeding in a hickory tree and left them for seed. When you moved these squirrels in the sun light you could see red hairs showing through the black hairs. In all my travels and hunting they are the only Black phase Fox squirrels I have ever been in contact with.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Bronze Member

I live and hunt in Central Missouri, I've never seen a black squirrel. We do have both reds and greys though.