Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

X mark pro trigger adjustment issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 06:08 PM

X mark pro trigger adjustment issue

I recently bought a new Remington 700 with the new x mark pro trigger. Although it was easy to adjust with just one adjustment screw instead of three, I'm unable to get the weight of pull to a desirable level. In fact, the weight of pull is just a bit lighter than the factory setting. I adjusted the trigger but was unable to reach the weight I wanted before I was having issues with the bolt firing when slamming it forward to do a safety check. Is there another way to adjust this trigger that I'm missing or is it a worthless piece of junk that needs to be replaced?
Old 07-05-2010, 06:36 PM

Re: X mark pro trigger adjustment issue

google Ernie the gunsmith and check out his spring for this trigger. It will help reduce the pull around a lb or so.

other than that...buy a good aftermarket trigger. timney, shilen etc.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

IMHO and as your finding out...triggers aren't anything to mess with (DIY) safety's too important...you never know when the gun might go bang when it ain't supposed to, seen it happen. I would take it to a qualified smith and have the work done, it's not expensive.

If your remmy shoots well and you plan on holding onto it for a while then I agree w/jglenn and look into a good quality trigger, I'd add Jewell to the mix as well.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:34 AM
Silver Member

I've got three and was able to get them into the 2.5lb range with no problem.Maybe the other adjustments were off to begin with.

Last edited by baldhunter; 07-15-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

I personally don't like the X-Mark trigger, I will be ordering a timney this week, I have adjusted mine, there are three screws you can mess with, the sear adjustment one is one not to mess with, that one I found is the one that causes the trigger to go off by slamming the bolt shut or it will not even allow the trigger to engage. Go with an aftermarket trigger, thats my 2 cents.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

I had the same problem on two of my Remingtons. I could never get the xmark to a pull that I thought was good to shoot, on either rifle. So I replaced one of them with a Timney. However, word to the wise about replacing the xmark with a Timney. You need to buy the Timney trigger assembly with the safety already installed. If you get the Timney trigger w/o safety installed expecting the xmark saftey to bolt right on you will be in for a suprise. It doesnt work at all. The Timney w/o safety on it is desigend for the old remington trigger in which case the safety will cross over just fine. Also note, I was not impressed with the Bolt release on the Timney w/ safety installed. It is very sticky and you kind of have to play with it to make sure it engages the bolt properly. The trigger itself breaks clean and has a great pull but for my other Remington I think I am going to try a Rifle Basix trigger.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtelkhntr78 View Post
I had the same problem on two of my Remingtons. I could never get the xmark to a pull that I thought was good to shoot, on either rifle. So I replaced one of them with a Timney. However, word to the wise about replacing the xmark with a Timney. You need to buy the Timney trigger assembly with the safety already installed. If you get the Timney trigger w/o safety installed expecting the xmark saftey to bolt right on you will be in for a suprise. It doesnt work at all. The Timney w/o safety on it is desigend for the old remington trigger in which case the safety will cross over just fine. Also note, I was not impressed with the Bolt release on the Timney w/ safety installed. It is very sticky and you kind of have to play with it to make sure it engages the bolt properly. The trigger itself breaks clean and has a great pull but for my other Remington I think I am going to try a Rifle Basix trigger.
Good to know, thanks for sharing your experience.