Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

wyatts box mag, do I need a new follower and spring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 09:08 PM

wyatts box mag, do I need a new follower and spring

I just installed a wyatts in a winchester model 70 post 64 and it feeds like crap. I dont think the follower is long enough and I dont think there is enough spring pressure. Can anyone give me some experience with this setup? Ideas on how to make it feed?
Old 09-28-2010, 09:38 PM
Platinum Member

Re: wyatts box mag, do I need a new follower and spring

What caliber do you have? I had to buy the center feed mag box for my 338 lapua it came with a flat follower which is what it needed. so you can try a flat follower or manioulate the lips of the box. just have to mess with it and see what works. fat cartriges like the lapua feed well in the center though.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-29-2010, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddconley1 View Post
I just installed a wyatts in a winchester model 70 post 64 and it feeds like crap. I dont think the follower is long enough and I dont think there is enough spring pressure. Can anyone give me some experience with this setup? Ideas on how to make it feed?

Contact Wyatt's directly: Wyatt's Outdoor Custom Rifles - Magazine Boxes

He'll set you up--sounds like you didn't get the follower and spring. Interesting. He can supply those for you or advise you on what to get otherwise. Good luck.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

I put a wyatt in my sendero 300RUM, I had to tinker with it to get it to feed right, I guess on some you have to shave some from the top of the magazine box itself, I didn't have to do that. It works like a charm now. Good luck