Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Would gunsmithing be a good second job?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 06:25 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Would gunsmithing be a good second job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Gee, thats what Ruling 2010-10 says!

AND it's STILL a federal license to get!

I would still recommend contacting the local batf office and let them give you a written determination.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

The license type you need is covered in the frequently asked questions. Just like cops, the ATF can reread the regulations to you but not give legal advice. Even in writing, if they get it wrong is not an excuse. Better to consult an attorney that has experience with this.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:22 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
The license type you need is covered in the frequently asked questions. Just like cops, the ATF can reread the regulations to you but not give legal advice. Even in writing, if they get it wrong is not an excuse. Better to consult an attorney that has experience with this.
Sounds like good advice to me. There's another bill to pay, the lawyer. But, it's your dime. I've never met an ATF field agent (or his district supervisor) who will give you anything in writing! Just refer you to "the book".
Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys!! I will figure out the licensing part of it. Not to worried about that at this point. I have had businesses in the past and that part don't scare me. I am more worried about where to get training as apprenticing under someone here is not an option, there is no one around here. So where can I start and anyone that could throw me some links to maybe some recommended equipment, I would be most indebted to ya!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 AM
SPONSOR

Montgomery Community College, Troy, NC Trinadad State Junior College, Trinadad, CO. Colorado School of Trades, Denver, CO. Seems to me there's another in NC, one in PA, one in AZ, at least one in CA, Murry State College in OK, and maybe one or two others.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

General gunsmithing actually requires very little money in the way of tooling. A master set of hollow ground screw drivers, good pin punches, roll pin starters, a wide variety of files and stones and a couple good vices will allow you to do 90 percent of what ever walks in the door. The next 5% will require a moderate investment to be able to weld and do refinish work. The last 5% requires a substantial investment in power equipment to be able to do barrel and machine work. It's possible to teach yourself as long as you have the means to replace what ever you work on.

There is tons of gun work to be done between ordering and receiving frieght, phone calls, drop in's, email, record and book keeping. It seems to work out for every hour in the shop requires about 1-2 hours at the desk.

I love the work and would do it for nothing if I could just to help others enjoy the sport. I love to see an guy light up when we fix his toys or help people shoot better than they ever thought possible. For me this is the best part.

The worst part is now I never can find the time to work on any of my own stuff.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hired gun View Post
if you want to wreck a perfectly good hobby, make it your job. That's the only thing that keep me out of adult films.
lmao