Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

worn spot on end of bolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Bronze Member

worn spot on end of bolt

I have a 1 year old Remington Sendero in 7mm Mag. I noticed my groups are not what they used to be. Was about 1/2 and turning into 3/4 inch at 100 yards quickly.

I noticed a bump on the rim of my bolt past the lugs. The lugs look fine but it appears to be a flat spot worn pretty bad on the last quarter inch of the bolt and a bump on the rim that is easily seen and felt. Appears to be a small washer on the inside of the wall that is part of the bolt where the "bad" spot is.

Does anyone know what this is and if it's a problem? Sure doesn't look good. The blueing is gone and is a hump on the end of the bolt rim.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: worn spot on end of bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke5678 View Post
I have a 1 year old Remington Sendero in 7mm Mag. I noticed my groups are not what they used to be. Was about 1/2 and turning into 3/4 inch at 100 yards quickly.

I noticed a bump on the rim of my bolt past the lugs. The lugs look fine but it appears to be a flat spot worn pretty bad on the last quarter inch of the bolt and a bump on the rim that is easily seen and felt. Appears to be a small washer on the inside of the wall that is part of the bolt where the "bad" spot is.

Does anyone know what this is and if it's a problem? Sure doesn't look good. The blueing is gone and is a hump on the end of the bolt rim.

can you post a picture?
gary
Old 01-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: worn spot on end of bolt

sounds like that is the spot that the extractor is pinned to the bolt nose, often times it will raise a small bump on the bolt noses' face.

The outside of the rivet will often times be touched on a grinder to smooth it off at the factory.

You accuracy problem. Could be the barrel needs a good cleaning, could be yopu over cleaned the gun with somthing you shouldn/t have.
Could be you clean without a bore guide. could be a scope base ring issue, could be stock bolts not as tight as they used to be. Could be about 20 other things including the driver, dif lot of ammo or powder. Brass necks work hardening ect ect ect. No one said any of this is easy.

Last edited by Coyboy; 01-20-2011 at 07:14 PM.