Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Winner of Manners contest looking for gunsmith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Winner of Manners contest looking for gunsmith

Hello all.
I am the winner of the long range hunting March Manners stock contest. I am looking for a gunsmith to work on my build. I have an old (1988) remington 700 bdl in 243. This rifle is left handed short action and I was never able to get it to shoot well. I am looking to get it re-barreled in 300 wsm (I already have a 308 in right hand) and get the action trued up. I ordered the manners MCS-T4A stock in LH Remington 700 SA. Since I won the stock from this site I thought it would be best to get this sites input on where to get the work done and what to get done.
I had some advice from a local amateur gunsmith because I needed to order the stock to fit the build. Based on his recommendations I ordered the stock to fit a Tubbs oversize recoil lug, M-40 barrel contour, and got the pillars installed.
Any opinions and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Bill
Old 05-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Winner of Manners contest looking for gunsmith

I'll be glad to help out. Contact info is below.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

I have used Kevin from Montour County Rifles and he has done a really good job on my custom. The gun shoots under half moa. Very patient and will explain everything. Give him a call.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Platinum Member

Why not give the "local amateur gunsmith" a shot?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

@ Grit- Is this your cell or business #? When would be the best time to call you? Thanks for the interest in this project.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

@ hired gun- The local amateur gunsmith is only doing this part time. His main business is custom motorcycles. He seems to know what he is doing but in my opinion he is just "assembling" guns from aftermarket parts. He has a good machinist but I don't think either one is trained as a gunsmith. Also he isn't too good at managing his time. A friend has had his motorcycle in for painting and rebuild and he has been telling him "two more weeks" for the past several months. I'm not in a big hurry but I don't want to be involved with that. I would rather ship to someone who is a gunsmith and does this for a living.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Those are good reasons. Find a pro. You might be surprized who is in your back yard if you look.

I used to do the same thing with race engines. I knew the locals too well to trust them with my work so I drove all over getting "really good name brand work done" only to once in a while be smoked by the local mom and pop shop engines.

Point is you don't have to ship across the country to get something like this done. It's nice to shake a man's hand and look him in the eye and hopefully see his shop just to be sure he takes your money as seriously as you do.

I bet people two blocks away from Gordy Gritters shop have any idea (he just moved in) there is a world class smith in their neighborhood.

I just found out one of Pac Nor's key barrel fitters (retired) lives 20 miles from here. A few more miles puts me in Darrel Hollands unmarked driveway. I knew that one though. That's where we buy a lot of parts.

I don't know Kevin Cram personally but have read enough to know he knows what he is doing. I would trust him along with some of the board supporters.

Only accurate rifles are interesting.

Gordy and Brady.