Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Will a 700 Ultramag action feed regular magnum cases?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Will a 700 Ultramag action feed regular magnum cases?

I've heard that an ultramag receiver will more than likely feed regular magnum cases without a hitch, but not as likely the other way around. Is this correct?
Thanks,
Sam

NRA Life Member
Old 09-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: Will a 700 Ultramag action feed regular magnum cases?

Generally it will feed a standard belted magnum just fine. What you may run into is shoulder bind of the rounds in the magazine. Simple fix, put a standard mag box in the rifle to replace the window box for the RUM.

Cheap fix.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 09-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Will a 700 Ultramag action feed regular magnum cases?

Thank you sir, for your expert opinion. That is exactly what I figured, and have tried it in a few of mine with belted cartridges and they fed slick as a whistle. I am trying to sell an action that came off an ultramag and have had a couple people ask me if the bolt face is for a regular magnum or Ultramag or say that the Ultramag action won't feed standard magnums. I have provided them with links about the bolt face being the same and told them they feed fine for me, but the mag box might need to be changed. I guess they are all expert gunsmiths and in their universe they have a different bolt face and crunch the shells up like paper if you try to cycle them through.

You have been a wonderful resource for this web site and we all appreciate your advice, experience (and your AM's!)

Have a good Labor Day,

Sam

NRA Life Member