Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Will a 257 Wby Reamer Clean Up a 25-06 Chamber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Will a 257 Wby Reamer Clean Up a 25-06 Chamber?

You can solve the both headspace and the fire forming issue by building a 257/280AI. There is a member here that did that with a 30 cal Encore barrel. His user name is Buttermilk.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo3006 View Post
Thanks J E Custom! I did some web research and it backs up what you said about stressing the action. Sounds like I would be better off to go ahead with a 25-06 AI barrel from MGM if I want to scratch the itch. I'm sure I wouldn't have any trouble selling the 257 Wby brass and dies.

On the re chambering of a standard cartridge chamber to an AI chamber, I have always heard that it is best to set a barrel back slightly (which wouldn't be possible with an Encore barrel without major alteration) so that the standard case will have a slight crush fit in the shoulder to ensure that there won't be any stretching in the case head area during fire forming.

As Idaho CTD said it is a wildcat and you can set the dies up where this does not happen. And by using the 25/06 head space gage with the 25/06 AI reamer it will not change the head space on your 25/06.

This change will improve the performance of the 25/06, Improve the brass life, and should improve the accuracy. + If you head space it with the 25/06 head space gage you can hunt with 25/06 ammo
with good accuracy and fire form at the same time. saving one firing to fire form.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Platinum Member

Interesting and good to know. This is why I posted my question here on LRH in the gunsmithing section because I knew I would get good feedback from people who know what they are talking about. I love learning new things about this stuff. Thanks everyone!

NRA Life Member
Old 11-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Gold Member

sambo, you contender barrel can easily be re-chambered in 257 weatherby, the cartridge is longer and fatter then the 25-06 and will completely remove all traces of the old chamber.
I must disagree with what has been said about re-chambering to 25-06 AI, the barrel must be sat back to do a proper job, maximum headspace is intended to be .004" shorter then the max headspace of the parent cartridge.
This is to ensure a crush fit on the parent case shoulder aiding correct fireforming. It is common place to use the parent case Go headspace gauge as a No-Go when gutting an improved chamber together with the correct improved Go headspace gauge.

Ian.