close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Reply

Why is there no coatings used in rifle throats to slow erosion?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #50  
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:26 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: S.E. Missouri
Posts: 225
Re: Why is there no coatings used in rifle throats to slow erosion?

No one is trying to change the laws of physics. Matter of fact, we're trying to do the opposite......finding a way to better adapt TO the physics that we know to exist.

If you read through the thread from the beginning, you'll see that this thread has been through a few changes. My original question was "why are there no coatings...." Then I was enlightened to the fact that there ARE surface treatments that are working to accomplish the same goal with generally positive feedback already established. So then the thread took a turn towards the potential to make a throat replaceable. And it is now moving in the direction of "if we can make a replaceable throat, can we coat a replaceable throat and see what life we get out of it."

So this thread especially is one that if a person just pops in without having read the entire thread, then they will likely not know where we're going.

No one is trying to re-invent the wheel here, just to build a better mousetrap....or in this case, a better elk-trap, if you will.
Reply With Quote
  •   #51  
    Unread 12-16-2011, 08:51 AM
    SPONSOR
     
    Join Date: Mar 2010
    Location: on the Southern Plains
    Posts: 1,911
    Re: Why is there no coatings used in rifle throats to slow erosion?

    I've read the entire thread, been following it since it was first posted (just because I waited to post later in the thread means nothing!). A 'replacement' barrel sounds a whole lot cheaper than a 'replacement throat'! Are you after Minute of broad side of the barn with that "replacement throat?
    __________________
    "Shoots real good!": definition; it didn't blow-up in my face. 1993 graduate Montgomery Community College 2yr. gunsmithing program
    Reply With Quote

      #52  
    Unread 12-16-2011, 10:12 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 7,001
    Re: Why is there no coatings used in rifle throats to slow erosion?

    I have been reading this thread and the discussions have been interesting to say the least.

    A little history : There have been many coatings over the years that were designed to prolong
    the BARREL Life and none of them has stood the test of time as far as accuracy.

    A lot of the military weapons have been coated with one thing or another. The chrome lining
    has the best track record for the prevention of erosion and corrosion. they even tried using a
    Stellight process (This Is some very hard stuff) but apparently it was not a practical solution
    and to costly.

    I personally think that the throat erosion on most weapons is a by product of our need for speed
    and therefore self inflicted in most cases. Before all of these High velocity cartriges throat erosion
    was not a consideration and most rifles lasted a lifetime.

    We have become more interested in velocity and accuracy and that has changed things.

    It is simple physics: the more velocity, the more powder, the more powder the more erosion.

    If you build a hot rod you can expect this problem sooner. Setting the barrel back is a simple
    and proven fix. re barreling is the next thing that can be done and accuracy maintained.

    I have seen barrels with the throat completely gone for several inches still shoot well because
    the barrel it's self was taken care of and maintained.

    There may be a coating out there waiting to be discovered that will double the life of the barrels
    accuracy but for now IMO a good smith can restore a rifles accuracy better.

    Just my comments on coatings.

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
      #53  
    Unread 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2011
    Location: S.E. Missouri
    Posts: 225
    Re: Why is there no coatings used in rifle throats to slow erosion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
    I've read the entire thread, been following it since it was first posted (just because I waited to post later in the thread means nothing!). A 'replacement' barrel sounds a whole lot cheaper than a 'replacement throat'! Are you after Minute of broad side of the barn with that "replacement throat?
    No shortgrass, I was "after" a creative discussion with people throwing out ideas in the hope that we might just learn something. If somewhere along the line we're fortunate enough to actually come across something that has merit and could be pursued, then great! But if not, we can all still learn from each other.

    On the specific "replaceable throat" concept, I was HOPING that someone with real gunsmith experience could say....."might be cost prohibitive, but could work".....or..."it's not going to have the outcome that your looking for BECAUSE........" So if you have a real-world perspective on what's wrong with it, please chime in. But just saying "Are you after Minute of broad side of the barn...." doesn't allow us to learn much.

    You may be so much more intelligent than me, that this idea seems like some sort of cartoon to you, but I'm actually serious about learning something that I've never known much about. So please feel free to contribute or not contribute. But can we do it without sarcasm?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
    I have been reading this thread and the discussions have been interesting to say the least.

    A little history : There have been many coatings over the years that were designed to prolong
    the BARREL Life and none of them has stood the test of time as far as accuracy.

    A lot of the military weapons have been coated with one thing or another. The chrome lining
    has the best track record for the prevention of erosion and corrosion. they even tried using a
    Stellight process (This Is some very hard stuff) but apparently it was not a practical solution
    and to costly.

    I personally think that the throat erosion on most weapons is a by product of our need for speed
    and therefore self inflicted in most cases. Before all of these High velocity cartriges throat erosion
    was not a consideration and most rifles lasted a lifetime.

    We have become more interested in velocity and accuracy and that has changed things.

    It is simple physics: the more velocity, the more powder, the more powder the more erosion.

    If you build a hot rod you can expect this problem sooner. Setting the barrel back is a simple
    and proven fix. re barreling is the next thing that can be done and accuracy maintained.

    I have seen barrels with the throat completely gone for several inches still shoot well because
    the barrel it's self was taken care of and maintained.

    There may be a coating out there waiting to be discovered that will double the life of the barrels
    accuracy but for now IMO a good smith can restore a rifles accuracy better.

    Just my comments on coatings.

    J E CUSTOM
    J E........thank you for giving us your thoughts! I for one definitely appreciate you taking the time.

    I agree that our human need to "push things" (oftentimes past the practical limits) is what has led us to where we are. Good point.

    It seems as though the military has actually spent a great deal of time and money on this very concept. Do you feel that their needs and our needs are different enough that some of the coatings that they've found less than suitable might actually be beneficial to us?

    What I mean by that is----they're going to need coatings that can stand up to rapid-fire/sustained fire scenarios where they'll be generating a case for much quicker erosion. Has the TYPE of firing had any bearing on their experiments? I don't know. Do you?<---that's NOT said in sarcasm...lol.

    If not......maybe that's something that I should research more?

    Again, thank you for taking time out of your day to lends us your perspective. It's really appreciated.
    Reply With Quote
      #54  
    Unread 12-16-2011, 11:23 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: Alaska
    Posts: 4,695
    Re: Why is there no coatings used in rifle throats to slow erosion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
    Good luck guy! Your question has already been answered. Melonite/Nitride. Make the barrel harder (after all machine work has been performed). It's a cost effective method! Around $100 bucks when you include shipping both ways! Everything else I've seen here, far out weighs that cost wise. And believe me, cost is everything! Everyone needs to try to come up with a way to change the laws of physics, every now and again.
    10-4 on Melonite/Nitride. The technology is largely perfected over the years of usage, and the cost is reasonable, compared to the cost of purchasing and installing a new replacement barrel.

    Last edited by phorwath; 12-16-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #55  
    Unread 12-16-2011, 11:35 AM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Apr 2005
    Location: Alaska
    Posts: 4,695
    Re: Why is there no coatings used in rifle throats to slow erosion?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theflyonthewall View Post
    No shortgrass, I was "after" a creative discussion with people throwing out ideas in the hope that we might just learn something.

    But can we do it without sarcasm?
    shortgrass is emphasizing cost competitiveness. Which pretty much eliminates everything compared to Melonite treatment - which is simply dipping the barrel into a hot bath solution under controlled conditions for the correct period of time.

    Any kind of machining and threading within the throat area is going to be labor intensive if accuracy is going to be preserved. Labor intensive is spelled $$$ unless it's farmed out to China or an equivalent work force environment. And will make the cost of re-barreling look quite attractive in comparison.

    Not to be the bottleneck in the dialog though...

    Last edited by phorwath; 12-16-2011 at 01:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote
      #56  
    Unread 12-16-2011, 12:00 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 7,001
    Re: Why is there no coatings used in rifle throats to slow erosion?

    I agree that our human need to "push things" (oftentimes past the practical limits) is what has led us to where we are. Good point.

    It seems as though the military has actually spent a great deal of time and money on this very concept. Do you feel that their needs and our needs are different enough that some of the coatings that they've found less than suitable might actually be beneficial to us?

    What I mean by that is----they're going to need coatings that can stand up to rapid-fire/sustained fire scenarios where they'll be generating a case for much quicker erosion. Has the TYPE of firing had any bearing on their experiments? I don't know. Do you?<---that's NOT said in sarcasm...lol.

    If not......maybe that's something that I should research more?

    Again, thank you for taking time out of your day to lends us your perspective. It's really appreciated.[/QUOTE]



    The milatary has different needs than we do so there are systams that work better for them (Like
    the chrome lined barrels that make the battrls last longer and need less maintance)

    Accuracy is important to them but the main objective is dependability under battle conditions.

    The Melonite/Nitride process may not improve barrel life enough for them to use it or under extreeme
    heat it may break down or just not last (I am not privy to this info).

    With all the money that they can spend on R&D maby they will come up with something that
    will not only improve barrel life but inhance accuracy.

    Everyone remimbers the Molly Craze and the hype said "Faster and better barrel life" Where is
    it at now. (I fell for it to). Interestingly enough I did find a great use for it but not what it was
    intended for. In a black powder barrel It improved the number of shots that could be fired
    without cleaning by redeucing the powder fouling. also on copper bullets it redeuced barrel
    fouling. There was a down side to it though as with many things that are supposed to end all
    problems.

    Longe range hunting comes with it's own set of probablems and for now we just have to live
    with them until someone comes up with a "Better Mouse trap" .

    J E CUSTOM
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Why is there no coatings used in rifle throats to slow erosion?
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Gun Coatings HUNTNMOON Long Range Hunting & Shooting 3 07-12-2011 05:41 PM
    Long throats? linksmechanic Long Range Hunting & Shooting 11 11-29-2009 12:48 PM
    Custom Build - Barrel Throats for 7mm 140 grain bullets Jerry D Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 03-11-2009 07:31 AM
    short throats on Winchesters remingtonman_25_06 The Basics, Starting Out 5 06-10-2004 08:41 AM
    short throats and long bullets???? JustC Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 17 04-29-2004 08:34 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC