Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Why No 3R rifling??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why No 3R rifling??

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Hey Rich,

I think my next barrel with be a Snieder (sic) polygon in a 270 cal. Don't know if there's any Rs involved but I'm interested.
Roy.....are we talking .270 Sherman here?
Old 05-14-2011, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

Re: Why No 3R rifling??

I'm a cut rifled guy, hell, I live in WI so it's a requirement. I know a couple of the cut rifled barrel makers pretty well and it is strange how in a market where the wait time on a barrel is so long that you'll still see makers bicker back and forth. That said, I have seen button barrels with chunks missing out of that aligator hide/dry lake bed pattern of throat erosion. And even when they looked that way they still shot damnded good, they might foul a little more at that point, but it's to be expected. Whether theoretical or not, initially one would thing that the work hardening of the edge of the land/groove in a buttoned barrel would be a good thing, that is where the 'chunks' come off supposedly due to the harder, brittle nature of that specific area (granted, coming from a cut-barrel maker). A good one from either process still shoots very well though, the longevity issue will probably never be resolved as everyone has their own opinions and they make barrels the way they do because they believe in it, and that is a good thing IMO.