Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Why are custom rifles so Pricey??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Why are custom rifles so Pricey??

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay View Post
Ive heard of doing this and this is something I just dont understand (Im new so forgive me)
If you do that, you are buying a new barrel, new stock, new trigger. The only thing you are keeping from the rifle is the action. Why buy a rifle just to throw everything away except the action, how does that work out cheaper?
Why not just buy all those things including a new action? I dont get it
First, Price a action, then a stock, trigger, floor metal,mag follower and spring,mag
box.

If you find the right don er this is what you have that is very usable. the only thing you
normally throw away is the factory barrel.

Add the price of a quality barrel and the machine cost and you have a very reasonable custom
rifle.

I look for a rifle with = low shot count, proper bolt face and mag length, A high end composite
stock or a laminate, all for under $600.00. (And occasionally find one for under $500.00).

I just a Mod 7 Rem laminate stock In 300 SAUM (Magnum bolt face) and after spending $350.00
for a premium 338 Barrel I had invested $900.00 in all the parts to build a 338 RCM.

Add the cost of the smith (I did it my self)to do the chambering and crowning + blueprinting
the action (You can price this work on line) and you have a very reasonable custom that should
shoot under 1/2 MOA.

I did a little pricing of some high end factory rifles and this is what I found.

Remington custom = $1999.00 to $2999.00.
Weatherby mark 5 = $1779.00 to $3044.00.
Dakota arms = $3350.00 to $7285.00.

So a custom rifle with quality everything for $1500.00 to $3000.00 doesent sound high to me
for what you get.

Just some more comments.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM
SPONSOR

Weatherby will guarantee 1 1/2" groups at 100yds. with their Accumark! YOOWWWW!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay
Ive heard of doing this and this is something I just dont understand (Im new so forgive me)
If you do that, you are buying a new barrel, new stock, new trigger. The only thing you are keeping from the rifle is the action. Why buy a rifle just to throw everything away except the action, how does that work out cheaper?
Why not just buy all those things including a new action? I dont get it

First understand that buying an "action only" isn't as straight forward as one would hope/like it to be. Remington occassionally has a run that they peddle off to Brownells. These are not normal stock items however. Remington wants to sell guns. Not just actions.

About the only thing you can buy from Winchester is a T shirt anymore. If it's a gun part they almost always demand to have the rifle back. You'll be hard pressed to find an action only from them. (that means never)

The F/N special police receivers are sold this way I believe. I built a rifle on one not too long ago that came as an action only.

Your next option is the custom line. If all your after is a builder and dollars/cents mean more than pretty here's the nutz n bolts.

Your baseline custom action will start at about $1000.00 give or take a hundred bucks.

A Walmart Model 700 is between 4 and 5 hundred in most cases.

The stock is junk. It's glorified hockey puck rubber/plastic.
The barrel makes a nice stick for a vegetable garden. Even if it is a shooter, it'll be useless if you decide to have the action blueprinted. That involves machining the receiver threads and the fit will be so poor afterward that it'll be dangerous to try and shoot it with the old barrel.

It sucks sometimes, but it's just how this game is played.

Hope this helped.

C.