Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Why certain actions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Why certain actions?

So have been thinking about this and can't come up with a set reason apart from custom parts. My question is what makes a certain action the main one that people customize? 700's for example. Is it just the aftermarket parts. What makes a 700 any better than a savage, axis, mossberg, ruger, Winchester, ect? If I have a lathe and can blue print them all and thread my own barrel and chamber ect why not start with something like an axis for accustom rifle and save a few $100?
Thanks for the thought gentalmen.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Why certain actions?

After market support for upgrade options, i.e. stocks, trigger, mags, etc ...

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:52 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

It's like modding a small block or big block Chevrolet.

"Character is who you are when nobody is watching"
Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=foreign;817969]So have been thinking about this and can't come up with a set reason apart from custom parts. My question is what makes a certain action the main one that people customize? 700's for example. Is it just the aftermarket parts. What makes a 700 any better than a savage, axis, mossberg, ruger, Winchester, ect.

What it boils down to is= What you like, what parts are available that you want on your rifle,
whether you may want to sell it in the future, what action responds well to customizing, and how much money you are willing to spend.

Most actions can be made to shoot well if the smith knows what the action likes (Actions are like barrels, they respond differently to different methods of assembly.

The old Mauser was the king for builds for a long time after the 2nd WW because there were millions
of them available. Now Remington is king just like the AR is in black guns because of after market
parts.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Silver Member

That seems to make sence. I have a fee spare savage barrels and was thinking of getting some axis actions to put them on.

JE. Do you know of any book with reference to what different actions "like"? I don't smith commercially (want to) so I don't have the experience or means to experiment personally. I know savage likes the tang floating and Remington fully bedded. Any other info out there?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign View Post
That seems to make sense. I have a fee spare savage barrels and was thinking of getting some axis actions to put them on.

JE. Do you know of any book with reference to what different actions "like"? I don't smith commercially (want to) so I don't have the experience or means to experiment personally. I know savage likes the tang floating and Remington fully bedded. Any other info out there?

Each action responds differently to changes and each smith has his opinion as to what to do
in order to make them shoot. That is the reason that some smiths specialize in a certain action.

In general I find the 700 Remington to be the least finicky and it responds to any or all accurizing

I do a lot of Weatherby Mark 5s and they do well with the same basic accurizing but normally
require a different Bedding requirement. The Winchesters and Mauser are about the same.

As you stated the Savage require different bedding, head spacing and truing to bring them into
there own (They can be made to shoot very well).

The only action I have trouble with is the M77 Ruger. Every now and then I have trouble figuring
out how to get them under 1/2 MOA. Some Smiths Have figured them out and do well. The angled
recoil lug is the main problem and applies some tricky dynamics's to the action.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign View Post
So have been thinking about this and can't come up with a set reason apart from custom parts. My question is what makes a certain action the main one that people customize? 700's for example. Is it just the aftermarket parts.
I think people first discovered Remington faster Lock-time, then the aftermarket parts are the product of it.

G.