Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Who to install a brake?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Who to install a brake?

I have a friend who went to smithing school in Trina-drag back in the day, and is quite oppionated. He's telling me that if I want a break installed that I should send it to the guy making the breaks instead of have the bbl manufacturer do it, or even a local smith. Opinions?

Hicks
Old 01-15-2011, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Who to install a brake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
I have a friend who went to smithing school in Trina-drag back in the day, and is quite oppionated. He's telling me that if I want a break installed that I should send it to the guy making the breaks instead of have the bbl manufacturer do it, or even a local smith. Opinions?

Hicks

The barrel maker cannot Index the brake if required Just like the brake manufacturer unless he has the rifle and that may require shipping.

The local smith is easiest and you can discuss what you want (Timed or not).

If you know a good smith take it to him.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-15-2011, 08:34 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Who to install a brake?

I take it your 'friend' doesn't work as a 'smith. A barrel maker can do it IF he's doing the rebarrel on your rifle. A good 'smith can do it, too,,, and is probably the easiest. The break maker can do it, but you'll have that shipping thing J.E. mentioned.