Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Gunsmithing

Where can I get info?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 PM

Where can I get info?

I'm new to the whole rifle world and just got a .308 SPS Tactical for Christmas and I'm reading on here about all this action blueprinting and "lapping the lugs" and "squaring the front end of the action" and what not, but to be honest I know nothing about all these terms. As a matter of fact, I don't think I could explain what the action of the gun is if I had to. I know I could probably google the basics, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source that started at the basics and worked into all this stuff.

I'm wanting to build my rifle up to be as accurate as possible but I'm the type that I like to do all my research and actually know what I'm looking at and reading before buying parts and upgrades just because it has high ratings on midway.com or this person tells me I need this and another person tells me I need that. I like to get all my facts and knowledge-base first. Thanks for any info guys.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Where can I get info?

Welcome!! Congrats on the rifle! I'll start basic. The International Hunter Education Association has an internet course. It's free. Go to the website, scroll to the bottom of the page, and find the table of contents. The chapter on modern firearms has great illustrations and explanations. There's a section on basic actions. www.ihea.homestudy.com

Take a look and I'll see what else I can find for resources.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
Welcome!! Congrats on the rifle! I'll start basic. The International Hunter Education Association has an internet course. It's free. Go to the website, scroll to the bottom of the page, and find the table of contents. The chapter on modern firearms has great illustrations and explanations. There's a section on basic actions. www.ihea.homestudy.com

Take a look and I'll see what else I can find for resources.
Thanks for the info man.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonCJ14 View Post
I'm new to the whole rifle world and just got a .308 SPS Tactical for Christmas and I'm reading on here about all this action blueprinting and "lapping the lugs" and "squaring the front end of the action" and what not, but to be honest I know nothing about all these terms. As a matter of fact, I don't think I could explain what the action of the gun is if I had to. I know I could probably google the basics, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source that started at the basics and worked into all this stuff.

I'm wanting to build my rifle up to be as accurate as possible but I'm the type that I like to do all my research and actually know what I'm looking at and reading before buying parts and upgrades just because it has high ratings on midway.com or this person tells me I need this and another person tells me I need that. I like to get all my facts and knowledge-base first. Thanks for any info guys.
It is something that is done normally when rebarreling with a custom barrel.

It is occasionally done to improve the performance of a poor shooting fire arm. but it requires
re-headspacing and that's why it is normally during a barrel change. (The expense of the work is
almost the same as a re barrel Minis the cost of the barrel and a full chamber and threading
job.

The reason it is done at all is to make any action as close to perfict alignment with everything
and fit and finish as good as it can be. (Factory rifles are very inconsistent in this department
and sometimes need major improvements to make them shoot).

So if your rifle shoots well enough for you ENJOY IT and dont worry about have it blueprinted.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

All good suggestions above.

Also, go take a hunter education safety class.

Safety first, fun next, then precision shooting.

Welcome aboard!
Richard
Old 02-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

At the top of the forum list is a technical articles section. There's an article on action truing. He quits in the middle, but you will get some info.

In the video section, Kevin Cram, Montour County Rifles, has a series of videos showing action truing.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
All good suggestions above.

Also, go take a hunter education safety class.

Safety first, fun next, then precision shooting.

Welcome aboard!
Richard
Lol I'm not new to guns, just new to the world of precision rifle shooting. I know pretty much everything they teach in those classes, just not the in-depth stuff.